Has anyone else's Roland kept going a half-key up?

Reaction score
Hello! We've had our church's Roland for only 14 months and the past month it began automatically setting itself a half key up, which obviously renders it unusable for a team with other instruments. We did a factory reset and also tried the whammy bar but it's still doing it. We use it outdoors since our church is still outdoors but it's southern California so it's not terribly cold. Anyone have this happen with theirs and if so what did you do to address the problem? Mahalo in advance for any assistance!

Reaction score
You might want to contact Roland or the company you purchased it from. I had a similar issue with my Roland Juno DS 61 key except my issue was it was combining sounds on certain notes making it virtually impossible to play. I did several factory resets and it kept coming back. Place where I purchased is an Authorized Roland Service Center. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and did a factory reset and sent it back to me. Made me feel like I was crazy. Hasn't done it since. I think it's an issue they don't want to own and they just fix and send back without admitting anything is wrong.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem is probably with the PitchBend controller. Be it wheel or joystick. You didn't mention which model.

You could try a squirt of contact cleaner on the pot.

It may also have a calibration procedure.

If all else fails, replace the pot.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You might want to contact Roland or the company you purchased it from. I had a similar issue with my Roland Juno DS 61 key except my issue was it was combining sounds on certain notes making it virtually impossible to play. I did several factory resets and it kept coming back. Place where I purchased is an Authorized Roland Service Center. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and did a factory reset and sent it back to me. Made me feel like I was crazy. Hasn't done it since. I think it's an issue they don't want to own and they just fix and send back without admitting anything is wrong.
Your answer doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You said you did several factory resets and it came back. Then you said the Authorized Service Center couldn't find anything wrong with the unit and they did a factory reset (just like you did several times) and it hasn't done it since. So how was their factory reset different than your factory reset? Maybe you did the factory reset incorrectly as their factory reset seems to work, according to you.

Reaction score
Hello! We've had our church's Roland for only 14 months and the past month it began automatically setting itself a half key up, which obviously renders it unusable for a team with other instruments. We did a factory reset and also tried the whammy bar but it's still doing it. We use it outdoors since our church is still outdoors but it's southern California so it's not terribly cold. Anyone have this happen with theirs and if so what did you do to address the problem? Mahalo in advance for any assistance!
As Gary mentioned you didn't mention the Roland model and I'm unfamiliar with a Roland that has a whammy bar so I don't know what model nor how old the keyboard is, so no help here. When it happens, try flicking the pitch wheel up and down, i.e. hold it up and let it flick back to center, do the same the opposite way, hold it down and let it flick up; if the pitch corrects itself then it is the pitch wheel, if not, then contact a service center for a repair.

Reaction score
The problem is probably with the PitchBend controller. Be it wheel or joystick. You didn't mention which model.

Gary ;)
Aloha Gary - thank you so much. What is the pot?

Reaction score

Gary ;)
Aloha Gary - thank you so much - could you explain what/where the pot is?

Reaction score
As Gary mentioned you didn't mention the Roland model and I'm unfamiliar with a Roland that has a whammy bar so I don't know what model nor how old the keyboard is, so no help here. When it happens, try flicking the pitch wheel up and down, i.e. hold it up and let it flick back to center, do the same the opposite way, hold it down and let it flick up; if the pitch corrects itself then it is the pitch wheel, if not, then contact a service center for a repair.
Aloha Dave - we have the Roland Juno-DS 88. So sorry I forgot to put that in my original post. We've tried that with the whammy and it continues to have the same problem. Hmmmm....

Reaction score
Aloha Gary - we have the Roland Juno-DS 88. Your answer sounds like our same experience. Sadly we bought it through Reverb so we don't have a warranty. I truly appreciate you taking time to share your experience - we have indeed felt like we were crazy/imagining things!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And please stop calling it a "whammy bar."

It's a 2-axis joystick controlling both pitchbend and modulation and actually contains two pots.

You may not be able to change just the pot and may have to opt for replacing the entire joystick assembly.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Pot is potentiometer. Only temporary time my Fantom's joystick became "stuck" a 1/2 up was during sequencing. Then I would just save what I had, and re-opened the song - and the correct key would reset. Happened sometimes when the sequencer seemed to be over-used. But it was a rare occurrence.

Ask a Question