Having trouble with an Edirol midi-usb interface

Discussion in 'MIDI' started by Nate Biehl, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Nate Biehl

Nate Biehl

Hi everyone, first post here.
    I'm using an Edirol UM-1EX usb midi interface with a Kurzweil pc88mx into an iMac. I use Reaper as a VST host.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to consistently get the Edirol to work. I always eventually get it to fire up, but it seems like I can never get it to react the same way twice, and I always spend about 15 minutes at least restarting my computer, my DAW, my keyboard, plugging it in, unplugging it, and just generally flailing until the lights come on.

Does anyone else have a similar interface? Is there some magic combo I'm missing? I've reinstalled the drivers (uninstalling the old ones) numerous times.

Thanks

Nate Biehl, Nov 27, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Nate Biehl

SeaGtGruff I meant to play that note! Moderator

I don't have any of those, so I can offer only general suggestions:

(1) Make sure the MIDI IN on the interface is connected to the MIDI OUT on the keyboard, and (if you want to send MIDI to the keyboard) that the MIDI OUT on the interface is connected to the MIDI IN on the keyboard.

(2) I've heard that USB 3 ports can be problematic with USB-MIDI connections, so if your computer has a USB 2 port, plug the interface into that port.

(3) I don't know about Macs, but in Windows it's best to always plug a particular USB-MIDI device into the same USB port every time (don't ask why, because I can't explain it). So if your Mac has multiple USB 2 ports, try plugging the interface into the same USB port each time.

(4) Connect the keyboard to the computer before you turn on the keyboard.

(5) Don't start up your DAW until after you've turned on the keyboard and waited for it to finish starting up.

SeaGtGruff, Nov 27, 2016
    happyrat1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements