Headphones for Keyboard

Reaction score
Whenever I want to play my Juno-Ds88 through headphones I am having to use my Logitech G430 gaming headphones that I use with my PC. I really like these headphones however I have noticed that certain patches are super quiet (basically inaudible) when using them. Could this be fixed by using some headphones that are more suited to keyboard or and if so could anyone recommend some decent closed and open-back headphones for me to compare that are around the £40 price point.

Also, would studio headphones be recommended for keyboard or is it better to use a standard headphone?

Many Thanks

Reaction score
I use a set of Panasonic

Panasonic RP-HD6ME-K

Also check out
Audio-Technica SonicFuel ATH-AX5iS

Both are nearer £50 but they are over ear which is my own preference and they have the all important cusioned headband which is all important if you happen to be folically challenged on your top pate.

A more expensive set would offer better dynamics but I am a little clumbsy with headphones and only destroyed a pair yesterday when I accidentally stood on them. Avoid Bluetooth or any infra red types as they tend to have poor latency.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My god Biggles. What's with the 30 point BOLD typeface? If you'[re posting from a phone PLEASE tone it down.

I didn't wake up with a hangover this morning but it still hurts my eyes to read your last message :eek:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Oops it is a bit ott.

Copied and pasted the model ref and it stuck for rest of post

Not sure how to change type size on iPad,

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It works like every other editor in the history of the web and word processing.

Just open the message for an edit, highlight all text (CTRL A or on an iPad I guess you poke with two fingers and drag or something similar) and then select the font from the top bar of the editor and deselect Bold then save. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Are you in editor mode? Have you tried the more options mode in the edit mode?

The font icons should be at the very top.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey Gabriel,

Yep defo get some dedicated headphones for your KB.

You can spend as much money as you want but if it's just for a bit of home practice in a quiet environment you should easily be able to get a decent pair at your preferred price point.

I use a pretty basic pair of Sennheisers that sound fine for home practice and only cost me AUD $100 or maybe a bit less from memory.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hi Gabriel
I found this article.
Some good advice here.
https://www.pianodreamers.com/5-best-headphones-for-digital-piano/
Good luck in choosing
Ray

Interesting comparison.

But good grief those Sennheisers are £170 here in the UK and those Philips are £225.

I use a set of Sennheiser HD 206 headphones which are cheap, cheerful, comfy and more importantly have good crisp mid and high ranges with the bass being neutral. They cost me something like £20 off Amazon.

Reaction score
The Sony MDR7506 phones on that list (which have been around for many years) are around $100 US ( $135 Cdn on Amazon.ca). Thomann has them for 98 Euros/ 87 pounds.

They're closed-back, and some people prefer open-back headphones. I use Sennheiser HD280 (also an old design), also around $100 US.

You don't have to break the bank.

. Charles

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have a set of fully enclosed headphones which wrap around the ears snuggly . . Like aeroplane pilots use. They are very comfy but get hot and sweaty in the summer.

I also have some TDK expensive ones which sit flat on the ears. *very old model . Cannot give you a model number but sound is great and bassy. These are not so hot and sweaty because of the design.

You need to consider all the options and buy what suits the desire and need. Some people prefer ear buds. I personally hate ear buds.and never use them.

If using for short periods may just need a cheap set. Using for extended sessions or professional purposes would surely need high end market ones.

Ray

Reaction score
I have a pair of Shure SE215 "earbuds" (= "in-ear monitors") that I carry around with me in a pocket. They're in the $100 range.

They're comfortable, and the sound is good. Slightly bass-heavy, but very clean. They're fine for piano. I go back and forth between them, and the Senn HD280's.

But as Ray says, some people accept things stuffed into their ears, and others don't.

To get good sound, you must have a good seal between the earbud tip, and your ear. The SE215's come with a selection of ear-tips, and I bought some triple-flange silicone ear-tips in addition. The triple-flange eartips give very good isolation from outside noise.

.Charles

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Biggles you can remove formatting using this button:

remove formatting.jpg

;)

Reaction score
Whenever I want to play my Juno-Ds88 through headphones I am having to use my Logitech G430 gaming headphones that I use with my PC. I really like these headphones however I have noticed that certain patches are super quiet (basically inaudible) when using them. Could this be fixed by using some headphones that are more suited to keyboard or and if so could anyone recommend some decent closed and open-back headphones for me to compare that are around the £40 price point.

Also, would studio headphones be recommended for keyboard or is it better to use a standard headphone?

Many Thanks
As an owner of a DS88, I would say that some of the patches do vary in volume. However, I don't know if I would say that it is so much that they go from normal volume to super quiet. Maybe the headphones you are using are accentuating certain frequencies more? That would be a reason to go for a studio headphone vs a standard headphone. Most consumer headphones you get are designed specifically to have a bit of a eq built in to them, in order to have them sound more pleasing to people buying them.

As for what to get, you have a lot of options in a number of price ranges. I use Sennheiser HD 380 Pros that I got on sale, they aren't cheap though. I like them because they are over the ear as opposed to on the ear, and are curved slightly so they are nice and comfortable to wear. Previous to getting those I had some AKG K240s, which are pretty standard studio headphones that have been around forever. These are open back and are nice to wear if you aren't wanting to completely block out your surroundings too. I don't find them as comfortable to wear though. You can find them pretty inexpensive now. If I'm running headphones and playing live, I use some non-custom fit triple driver Westone in-ears. I don't usually use them for practice since even though they are comfortable, they are like wearing earplugs.

Ask a Question