Heavy Weighted Keys

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm a pianist, and I'm looking for a keyboard with very heavy keys to practice on. Sound quality, sound selection, features, and other whatnots are of little importance.
Cheaper is, of course, better.

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dunno about how heavy you mean but most keyboards, even unweighted, have adjustable velocity curves (usually a range between 5 and 7 steps) to give the keyboard as heavy or as light a touch as you need.

I have a Kurzweil PC3K8 and it has weighted hammer action keys, which defaulted at setting #4 when I got it. I've since adjusted mine to #2 to make them a bit lighter and less strenuous to play.

Anyway, the Kurz is no lightweight weighing in over 50 lbs and it's not easy on the wallet either listing at about $3500.

Then again, if you're looking for what's reputably one of the best actions in the industry and weighing in at only 25 lbs then look at the Casio Privia PX-5S. Amazing piece of kit priced just under $1000 and as I mentioned earlier, velocity curves are adjustable to whatever key weight you are comfortable with.

Gary

Reaction score
The PC3K8 has pretty light keys for a weighted action. The V-Piano is also on the lighter side, but not as light as the Kurz.

Velocity curves do not affect how heavy the action is, it only changes how hard you have to hit to get a certain level out of it (the actual feel of the keys doesn't change at all).

A board with a high quality heavy feel action would be Kawai VPC1 which has no sounds (it is just a controller). If you want something with built in sounds, look at the Kawai MP-10 or MP-11. Other boards with a somewhat heavy feel (but lighter than those Kawais) would be any Yamaha with a GH action (CP33, P155, P255, etc.), or a Korg with an RH3 action (i.e. SP250, SV1). The lowest cost board to look at is probably a Casio PX-150, which has a nice feeling action and is also slightly on the heavy side.

Wes

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're looking for a very heavy action to build some muscles. Watch the used market for a Yamaha PF-85.

Wes

Reaction score
The P105 uses the GHS action, this is actually a relatively light action as far as Yamaha stage pianos go. Both the GH3 and NW-STAGE actions are heavier, albeit not by much, and their positive feel is a real benefit. The PF-85, on the other hand, is a beast.

Ask a Question