Hello all

Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently I found this community and decided to join.

I am 47 years old, father of a sweet daughter (who likes to play keyboard too) and from Belgium and learning to play keyboard for almost a year now. I cannot afford a teacher so I was using the internet. Recently I decided to join a band, I was lucky enough to find a band that allows new musicians but has a good foundation of a few very experienced people (with lots of patience). We play blues, blues/rock music (from the likes of CCR, Eric Clapton, ...).
It changed a lot in my progress, I got a lot of help from these people and it brought more focus in my studying of the instrument. I am enjoying it more and more.

I own a Korg 01W/FD (with broken floppy), a Roland D10 and a Shruthi synth I builded myself last summer. Next month I hope to buy me a Korg Kross as my daily workhorse :).

Back to practising now :)

Jan

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Jan,

You are indeed lucky to have found a band that is willing to take you under its wing and has the patience to deal with a complete neophyte.

But one thing I have learned is that it's never too late in life to learn a musical instrument. I also only started keyboards back in my late 30's and early 40's and was not so fortunate as you to find anyone to take the time and trouble to educate me on proper theory and technique.

Even so, after twenty years of trial and error I finally manage to put out some decent sounds. ;)

Looking forward to hearing some of your stuff when you feel confident enough to post it on soundcloud. :)

All the best,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcome.

@happyrat1: I have been through a few "phases", and one thing I learned was that sitting on my own in my "man cave" does not keep the motivation up. I tried a few times picking up an instrument (guitar, bass) and I always lost interest. I finally started keyboard playing due to my involvement in synth diy community. I also build stuff that make noise (sometimes that is more important to me then actually playing).
This time I decided I would go serieus and started to look for a band, with the issues you understand too. Most bands (certainly coverbands) want you to learn their repertoire in two months and then go gigging with them.
I realise I was very lucky finding this band, we have three very experienced people (guitar, bass and drums) so we have the basics covered. Two guitars and me (keyboard) are now learning. I went ten times faster in progression last month (since I joined them) then the last ten months since I started. Playing with a group forces you to learn complete songs and adapt in the dynamics what a group is.

Finding a singer is more difficult but I trust sooner or later we find someone that blends in the group.

Ask a Question