Hello from Exeter

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have just bought a Roland FP30 after having to stop playing guitar due to a frozen shoulder and am loving it so far. I have always wanted to play the piano and seem to be taking to it well, so am very happy. I'm very happy to be a member of this forum.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Marten...

Welcome to the forums.

It's a terrible thing when a musician starts to lose control of his body. Keith Emerson committed suicide this year because of nerve damage in his right hand.

I'm glad to hear that keyboards are working for you.

A musician without an instrument is like a taco without hot sauce. Why even bother showing up?

Anyway, we all support each other here and if you have any technical questions this is the place to start asking. :)

Enjoy your stay,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have to confess that the piano does feel a lot more natural to me than the guitar ever did, so I may well be selling my string section!

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have to confess that the piano does feel a lot more natural to me than the guitar ever did, so I may well be selling my string section!
I've thought exactly the opposite and wondered many times if I shouldn't have played guitar instead. For me I could just sit around or lounge on the sofa and play and not have to pay as much attention. I could sit around doodling on a guitar all day. Maybe I need a lap keyboard so I can stay in my comfy chair and play for longer periods. :)
Anyway, how so? I need some encouragement.

Reaction score
Keith Emerson committed suicide this year because of nerve damage in his right hand.
I didn't know this. You would probably agree it was much more than that. I hate hearing about suicide. I could say much but the example given in its a wonderful life is SO TRUE. It is true how one life effects so many that we don't realize. In truth, no matter what belief system we go by, we must conclude that there is a great destiny no matter what hand we were given.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Word was out on the street immediately after the fact that Emerson had suffered partial paralysis of his right hand as a result of illness a few years prior to his suicide which severely limited his ability to play up to his usual standards and subsequently he fell into a deep depression.

Sure it's all speculation and you are free to imagine whatever reasons you want for it but as far as I'm concerned it's the most reasonable cause and I'm willing to stick with it until something better comes along.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
There are times when I wish that I had learned to play the Stick when I was younger rather than piano. I've occasionally tried, but it looks like I'm an old dog.

Welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question