Hello-Keyboard Player

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a keyboard player who plays live. My rig is a Yamaha P120 digital piano and Alesis ion syn. Both are MIDI capable.

I'm interested in finding out what tools I can use to download patches and settings for songs on my song list. Currently it takes too long to reprogram both keyboards between songs.

Reaction score
G'day Cal,

Welcome! I'm not much of a patch downloader myself - I tend to make my own, but I have no doubt one of the friendly folk on here will be able to assist!

Cheers,

Paul

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You should be able to hook them up to a computer, laptop, or tablet and use a DAW or other MIDI-based software to send the commands needed for setting up the keyboards with the desired patches. I'm not familiar with either keyboard, but I'm looking at their manuals. Both keyboards allow you to transmit their current setups to a computer, so you could set them up as desired for a particular song, send the settings to a computer, and save the settings. You could do this for each song-- or even for different sections of a given song (if you need to switch between sounds during the song)-- and save the setups with appropriate names. Then you would be able to select a particular setup on the computer and send it to the keyboards so that you wouldn't need to set them up manually between songs or during a song. If you don't want to have to deal with hauling around a desktop computer for your gigs, then a laptop or tablet would be better. And if you'd rather use a touch screen than a laptop keyboard, then a tablet would be best. There are a lot of stands available for holding laptops or tablets in place during a gig.

Ask a Question