Hello - new here!

Reaction score
Hey folks.

Just registered. I'm a guitarist of over 30 years. Have always dabbled in keys and piano, but lately I've been getting into synth playing and learning songs.
Looking to learn as much as I can!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Welcome aboard future propellorhead, synth-afficianado in training.

Here at the altar of the Church of the Blessed Synthesizer (and car wash) we live, breathe and eat technical manuals for breakfast.

We offer wit, wisdom, and unvarnished truth when required.

If you're looking to cover every synth tune in the past 30 years, I Highly recommend the Prophet Rev 2.

I got one yesterday and I gotta say, there's something about American made synths that Behringer just hasn't figured out how to duplicate yet.

As someone who has owned many Behringers, I can honestly say the Rev2 is the most playable instrument I've encountered in the past 25 years.

But fun is fun,

Back to smoking reefer in Soviet Canuckistan :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the reply and the suggestion.

I'm nowhere near settled on the Behringer DeepMind, and I'm happy you pointed me toward the Prophet Rev2. Not TOO expensive either, all things considered. I'm kind of in love with Juno tones right now for better or worse, but the more I'm learning about synths, I can see how much they have in common, and you can arrive at similar places with all of them it seems. For now, I'm sort of gathering soft synths so I can get a feel for different ones. Junos like I said kind of hit my ears in a special kind of way, but the OB-Xa and MiniMoog are also to my liking. Luckily lots of good softsynths out there between Arturia, Softube, and others. Also picked up IK Syntronik 2 in their recent Group Buy for $35. Samples instead of modeling, but it's been a fantastic way to get a taste for nearly every popular synth that's existed!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I also own and use a Deepmind 6 and I can say it's also a very capable synth, but the Rev 2 absolutely blows it away for sheer playability and sound design.

The choice is yours but my advice is get both :)

Or start with the Rev 2 and get the Deepmind later. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I also own and use a Deepmind 6 and I can say it's also a very capable synth, but the Rev 2 absolutely blows it away for sheer playability and sound design.

The choice is yours but my advice is get both :)

Or start with the Rev 2 and get the Deepmind later. :)

Gary ;)
Any advice on the 8 voice vs 16 voice?

The Desktop version of the Rev2 really appeals to me, as I already like my XP-30 keybed and my space is very limited.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

The Rev 2 is expandable at a later date for a reasonable price.

Personally I bought the 8 voice unit but I have plans on installing the expansion at a later date.

I once owned a Juno DS61, then upgraded to a DS88, but both are now long gone. The Xp-30 is pretty much the same as the DS61.

The DS61 keyboard, while not bad is inferior compared to the Rev 2 simply because of aftertouch and I found the DS61 keyboard, while fast, was somewhat wobbly with side to side play in the keys themselves.

The Rev 2 uses a Fatar keybed with channel aftertouch which is also very playable and has a nice feel under my fingertips.

The Deepminds also use similar Fatar keybeds and I have no complaints about mine other than the fact that the Rev 2 is 5 octaves while the Deepmind 6 is only 3.

The OB-Xa looks good on paper but wait and see IF and WHEN Behringer sees fit to start releasing them.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question