Hello there this is me...

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a real music fan, can really enjoy most musical pieces. I've always wanted to learn how to play piano, midi-keyboard. Am planning on to buying in the coming few weeks a 'new' (second-hand) keyboard, preferably a midi/usb keyboard. Since I want to play it with my cubase pro or logic pro X software.

Have been mixing music with those software quite long time but never moved over to actually playing music, got stuck in the cutting/editing dj sets to than sell to local dj's.

But now a neighbor found an old GEM CD30 keyboard up in his attic I guess. And knows or hears ;p that I am into music making he offered this keyboard to me for €40... Tried to look it up on the internet but could not find any real information about it, on the first looks it seems quite decent. Does anyone know this keyboard? so yes, is this a good beginner's keyboard? This is a pic of the keyboard.

Cheers,
B.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd suggest looking around on Craigslist or Ebay for something a little more upscale and modern.

Something like a used Casio CTK or WK would get along more nicely with your DAW software and shouldn't really cost much more than 75 to 150 Euros on the used market.

It should also have better sounds and be less prone to a technical failure along the way.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Your neighbour is asking far to much, 40 Euro for a old MIDI keyboard of questionable age, quality and condition so it is probably 38 Euro more than it is worth.

As Gary advises buying a Casio or even Yamaha keyboard is by far the best way to start for seriously learning to play with two hands.

I am of the opinion that for learning a MIDI keyboard is not necessarily the best choice since most of the lower priced ones have compromises in their key actions.

That said, for MIDI.

Is a very good MIDI keyboard that both Gary and I have, mine is the 49 key version but for more serious playing at least a 61 key version is a better buy.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're starting to bust his budget Biggles. Plus he'd need the technical skills to hook up to a computer and run VSTi software.

Keep it simple. A used Casio will come in under budget and allow him to play without having to fire up a computer every time.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
so it is probably 38 Euro more than it is worth.
haha good to know!
Thanks for the reactions, I'll let him know tomorrow that I will not buy it.

Will look into it the coming weeks, this week a lil busy at work. But am willing to start in a lower price range than the arturia 49 a bit out of mine range :p , was looking at a Arturia minilab midi controller for €50 (prob €40). First I want to see if this is something for me or not, if it is I'll move on to a more advanced and more expensive model.

Reaction score
You're starting to bust his budget Biggles. Plus he'd need the technical skills to hook up to a computer and run VSTi software.

Keep it simple. A used Casio will come in under budget and allow him to play without having to fire up a computer every time.

Gary ;)

Haha yeah true about the budget...
But I am actually quite familiar with running software on computers, that's the only way I am creating music now.
My ideal prospect would be to use it in combination with the software I am already using, I think that I will play the keyboard alongside the computer in like 85% of the time.
Gary, thanks for the suggestion of Casio, I now have found a Casio CTK-1150 near my area for €75. Have emailed, but reaction yet.

Cheers,
B.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Be careful about how old a Casio you buy.

Anything over 10 or 12 years old will require proprietary drivers that probably have never been updated for the latest operating systems.

That goes for most other brands as well.

Make sure that whatever you get is USB MIDI Class Compliant.

If it's not, then walk the other way,

Here's a guide to used prices.

http://www.prepal.com/

Gary ;)

Reaction score
To play or to be serious about learning then a consistent keybed is essential and you only get these with a quality keyboard. Even budget starter keyboards have vastly superior keybeds compared to a similar priced MIDI keyboard controller. I am assuming that you do want to learn to play more than a musical phrase as a time, that is to play a whole song from start to finish. For this an Arranger keyboard is the best way to learn.

You get what you pay for, buy cheap and you will not reap the benefits, the 75 Euro model you quote is aimed at being bought for young children to thump and bang on.

The Casio CTK 3200 and Yamaha PSR E263 really are the lowest priced keyboards for anyone wanting to buy an all in one arranger style keyboard.

If you look at a MIDI keyboard like an Alesis V61 it is about 130 Euros and its keys are rubbish, press a key and you get sound at one level, press the key next to it with the same timing and you get a completely different sound level. Resultant effect, is its rubbish to play any music on. Its the same with mini or micro keys, they are not suitable to learn to play music on.

Check out a Nektar, or Behringer with 61 keys if the Arturia is to expensive for you.

Buy wise, if it is the MIDI route you want so you only buy once.

I’m done here.

Ask a Question