Hello

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I started playing guitar. I had never played an instrument. But I've always loved music, mainly classic rock, but interests include alternative, 80's and classical. However, due to a pre-existing shoulder injury I'm not able to play without pain. I'm hoping to kick this one day, but for now I want to continue to learn music, so I thought I would dust off the families old Yamaha keyboard. I've learned a bit of theory from guitar that I'm hoping I can utilize with keyboard. Most importantly I'm hoping my shoulder/neck doesn't affect me. If I keep my arms relatively close to my body I'm ok.

Thanks for reading ;-)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Noonie,

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your injury.

If you find it too painful to play keys though don't give up hope.

Consider also playing a Wind Instrument such as flute, clarinet or sax.

Also there's a MIDI wind instrument which can produce amazing orchestrated sounds called the AKI EWI. It comes in various flavors such as the EWI USB which relies on a computer soft synth to produce the actual sounds, as well as full blown wind synthesizers models such as the EWI 4000 and EWI 5000.

Personally I own an EWI USB and I drag it out once in a while and use it to drive the sounds out of my keyboards using the the EWI as a controller and the computer as the MIDI router.

Anyway, welcome to a brilliant new age of easy to play electronic instruments.

Mobility limitations no longer mean the end of a musical avocation. ;)

Anyway, the nice thing about the instruments I mentioned is that they require virtually no shoulder or arm movement whatsoever and all the artistry is in the thumbs and the fingers.

Anyway, feel free to ask us if you have any technical or general questions that need answers. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder injury, I hope it doesn't affect your keyboard playing.

Ask a Question