Hello

Reaction score
Greetings. Longtime self-taught pianist, finally taking formal lessons right now. My old Roland HP-2900G finally died, and recently purchased a used Yamaha P45 for a good price as a replacement. Trying hard to remain disciplined in my keyboard studies and not do my usual ,jazzy noodling. Sight reading is proving to be a bit tricky!

Reaction score
Welcome.

Nothing wrong with noodling, I do it all the time especially when sight reading.

All the right notes, not necessarily in the right order.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hello and welcome:)
Enjoy your P45.
What is your preferred genre?

btw . . You got me intrigued when you mentioned sight reading being tricky. Please see my other thread.
Cheers ray

Reaction score
Hello and welcome:)
Enjoy your P45.
What is your preferred genre?

btw . . You got me intrigued when you mentioned sight reading being tricky. Please see my other thread.
Cheers ray
I'm kind of all over the place, as far as genres are concerned. As a very amateur composer, I come up with all kinds of pseudo classical things, but I also have a backlog of latin jazz/Vince Guaraldi "Linus and Lucy"/Herbie Hancock "Watermelon Man" instrumentals.

Sight reading is a new challenge for me because I haven't completely memorized both staves. I'm trying to overcome the Every Good Boy....etc. way of learning the notes and instead just know the notes on both staves without even trying to think about them or having to reference them against other notes. Beyond that, reading two staves at one time is difficult. Plus, my ability to count time and maintain strict note/rest durations is shaky. I wish I had taken an ear training class, so I can look at a manuscript and hear the music in my head as I read it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow ....... Watermellon Man.

One of our favourites, we go and see an old sixties Band when they tour, still all but one of the original members, they were Manfred Mann, they are now The Manfreds and they play great RnB amongst other styles and their version of Watermellon Man is fantastic, must dig it out and put a link in the other thread.

Ask a Question