Hello

Reaction score
Started learning piano and synthesizer stuff over a year ago, and since I'm still at it I thought it would be fun to join a forum. I am learning how to play piano to keep myself honest, but I really enjoy producing really mediocre ambient/drone pieces on my synth toys.

I guess I’m supposed to introduce my main keyboard too. Because I love deep diving into sounds and patches, and I really love the way it sounds, I went with the Yamaha MODX8. Also, it has a wonderful piano feel, and since that is part of what I’m learning it just seemed like the right tool for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your welcome, markmann! For my first year I used the Flowkey app just so I could see the methods used to teach the technique, and for basics. It was very helpful. Another thing I learned was to work on pieces that are at your level. Trying to jump ahead can be discouraging and counterproductive.

I'm learning two things at once: piano/music theory and then music synthesis. It's great because of the way they compliment each other. Working on one discipline will inevitably encourage me to continue with the other. This seems to work really well for me.

Hope it goes well for you as you continue, and have a happy new year!

Reaction score
Thanks, Dark. Yeah, it can be frustrating because I already play other instruments so I thought I would be able to progress at a more rapid pace but nope, very slow. My old brain is just having trouble creating those new neuro-pathways (or whatever they're called) and muscle memory is taking a long time. At least I like it so it's all good.

Reaction score
One of the motivators (and quantifies your progress) is to record a piece you've learnt to play... and then record it again a few months later... and repeat. It doesn't matter if it's just done with an old tape recorder or straight into a smartphone or whatever.. just record your playing.

It's been decades since I've had real lessons... but I remember listening to my first efforts at playing a couple of tunes in the late '60s... and then listened to my efforts in the '70s and talk about chalk'n'cheese :)

...but it also highlights those areas in which you need to do more practice... and other areas where you have learnt something.

P'raps at least give it a try... It certainly helped me in 'recent' years when learning guitar 'properly' :D

Reaction score
Thank you, ozboomer! That is such good advice, and I did make a first recital video about 10 months ago. Then I just never got around to the follow up video. I still practice that piece regularly, and I know I play it better. I’m more relaxed in my hands and posture, my timing is better, and I’m thinking more about dynamic playing. So who knows. Perhaps I’ll do that, but I’m just having so much fun learning new pieces...

Reaction score
I notice you have the Yamaha P121. How do you like it?

I wanted a cheapish digital piano and the P 121 did what I wanted, best imo piano sound in its class, reasonable action, very portable (that is why I bought the 121 instead of the 125). Downside, not many onboard sounds but a major plus was that changing sounds was much better than competitors key combination methods.

The Smart Piano app that Yamaha have worked well and the three months free access to Flowkey is a good place to start learning for newbies.

Reaction score
I wanted a cheapish digital piano and the P 121 did what I wanted, best imo piano sound in its class, reasonable action, very portable (that is why I bought the 121 instead of the 125). Downside, not many onboard sounds but a major plus was that changing sounds was much better than competitors key combination methods.

The Smart Piano app that Yamaha have worked well and the three months free access to Flowkey is a good place to start learning for newbies.
Thanks for your thoughts on it. I bought one late last year to live on the wall next to my bedside. I'm a poor sleeper, and it's so convenient use in the middle of the night without having to go turn everything on in the studio. And, like you said, it has pretty good qualities for it's price. What I didn't realize was how spoiled I was from playing the MODX! Unfortunately, the difference in the action and tone made me feel like I was playing a child's toy even though intellectually I knew the P121 is a darn decent rig. I guess I was naive. It's a good thing it's so handy, and I have learned to enjoy playing it for what it is.

And, yes, the Smart Piano app is really well done!

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts on it. I bought one late last year to live on the wall next to my bedside. I'm a poor sleeper, and it's so convenient use in the middle of the night without having to go turn everything on in the studio. And, like you said, it has pretty good qualities for it's price. What I didn't realize was how spoiled I was from playing the MODX! Unfortunately, the difference in the action and tone made me feel like I was playing a child's toy even though intellectually I knew the P121 is a darn decent rig. I guess I was naive. It's a good thing it's so handy, and I have learned to enjoy playing it for what it is.

And, yes, the Smart Piano app is really well done!
The P series and the MODX 8 have the same GHS action.

Playing a toy is just what I thought when I tried a MODX, it was the 61 key version, spongy keybed, good acoustic piano, very poor brass and the worst OS I have come across. To each there own.

Reaction score
The P series and the MODX 8 have the same GHS action.

Playing a toy is just what I thought when I tried a MODX, it was the 61 key version, spongy keybed, good acoustic piano, very poor brass and the worst OS I have come across. To each there own.
Wow! I looked it up, and I couldn't believe it. You're right! No wonder I got used to it.

Yes. The MODX6 & 7 have the synth keyboard. It was the why I bought the 8.

As for the OS, it is a bit clunky. Reminds me of Windows. However, once you get used to it, the amount of depth and programmability still blows my mind. Maybe it's just because I don't have experience with another workstation to compare it to.

One other thing that you couldn't know is that I'm making all these decisions from a little, isolated town in Alaska. All my in store testing of keyboards takes place on YT! Sucks, but Alaskans are used to such.

Last edited:

Ask a Question