help- a bit clueless

Reaction score
I've been playing about 20 years but mostly live shows- I own a Kurzweil PC88 and Korg M50. Currently that is all I can carry around to live gigs. I'm in need of more sounds since I MIDI the 2 together but sometimes find myself needing another patch. What is my best option for more sound patches? Do I go with something like a Rack-mounted unit like the Motif and MIDI that in- or can I use something like a computer laptop and software to get more sounds/patches?? I wasn't sure if I could use a software package to find unique sounds and download them into the KORG.- I don't want to much technical stuff to do during a live gig- so the simpler the better to give me more options without lugging around another board

Reaction score
your best bet is probably a rack unit. the motif rack would suit your needs.

but if you decided you wanted to go a little crazy and splurge a bit and get something completely awesome try this on for size

http://www.museresearch.com/

check out the receptor

Reaction score
I whole-heartily agree,having a module to store you computer software patches gives you infinite possibilities & will completely eradicate your problem.

The Muse Receptors are very pricey(around $1,500 to $2,000 I believe),but I really think it would be worth selling your Korg M50 if you needed to and just use you Kurzweil as a midi controller and go hog-wild!:cool:

-Elwood

Reaction score
wow- more than I wanted to spend but looks like a nice toy- I want to keep the M50 since I like having 2 boards to play live. (You never know when something does not want to work!)-
How does that device work? you just MIDI into it and you can play all those sounds thru any board?

Reaction score
I've been playing about 20 years but mostly live shows- I own a Kurzweil PC88 and Korg M50. Currently that is all I can carry around to live gigs. I'm in need of more sounds since I MIDI the 2 together but sometimes find myself needing another patch.

Can you be more specific about what sounds you want that the PC88 and M50 don't have?

Reaction score
well maybe I just need some help- I MIDI the 2 boards together for most songs. However I use the PC-88 mostly for piano (has the 88 keys and the feel)- There are times I need to use specific sounds from the M50 (banjo-fiddle etc)- and then I need a better organ sound from the PC88 and there its a bit limited. So I would like to also play the 2 boards independently at times- (using the M50 with a specific sound solo)- and then I need better sounds (non piano) out of the PC88- So if I had the PC88 MIDI'ed to another module- I could get more sounds when needed....make sense?

Reaction score
if you just want a sweet organ sound hammond makes a sweet midi module with drawbars its pretty cool and sounds great!

ps. whats your budget?

Reaction score
Multitimbral

well maybe I just need some help- I MIDI the 2 boards together for most songs. However I use the PC-88 mostly for piano (has the 88 keys and the feel)- There are times I need to use specific sounds from the M50 (banjo-fiddle etc)- and then I need a better organ sound from the PC88 and there its a bit limited. So I would like to also play the 2 boards independently at times- (using the M50 with a specific sound solo)- and then I need better sounds (non piano) out of the PC88- So if I had the PC88 MIDI'ed to another module- I could get more sounds when needed....make sense?

Apologies if you know this - midi out from your Kurzweil into the M-50. The M-50 has lots of polyphony. Program an M-50 patch that has banjo-fiddle on say midi channel 1 and the organ you like on midi channel 2. Set the Kurzweil to transmit on midi channel 2. You'll hear the M-50 banjo fiddle when you play the M-50 and M-50 Organ when you play the Kurzweil.

You'll need to mute the Kurzweil sound - program a patch with zero volume if you can't find how to do it in the manual.

Ask a Question