Help Choosing a Midi Controller

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm a newbie here and was hoping to tap into your knowledge before I part with my cash!

I'm looking for a keyboard controller to use with ProTools 11, moving to 12 in the new year. I should state that I'm primarily a guitar player and know little of keyboards and midi. My needs are that it must have pads for tapping drums, rotary encoders for controlling plug in params in ProTools instruments and faders for the obvious.

It will never be played live and will simply sit in my studio.

I've decided to narrow my choices down to two:

1 - Novation Impulse 49
2 - Novation SL MKII 49

I cannot tell which is the latest model to be released. Impulse states Automap 4 whilst the SL states Automap PRO 3. This is important to me as I need all the help I can get setting it up. Is there a difference?

Not important is weighted keys etc as I'll only be clumsily tapping in sequences, simple progressions (does that exist in keyboard terms? - apologies) and child like lead lines! Though I do intend to improve my technique...

Phew I'll stop there, thanks in advance.

Cheers

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have an Alesis QX49 which I like very much but if you are looking for lots of drum pads you should consider the next model up, the VI49.

http://www.alesis.com/vi49

vi49_back_1200x750.jpg

vi49_ortho_1200x750.jpg

It gets 4-1/2 stars on Amazon and I think in terms of bang for the buck, the Alesis controllers are well worth the money. The keyboards are semi weighted and very solid.

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-VI49-Advanced-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B00IWVWUWA

Anyway, that's my $0.02

Gary ;)

Ask a Question