Help Choosing Keyboard Amp

Reaction score
First off all hello everyone, i'm new here. Well I need help choosing an amp for my keyboard. I know my keyboards, but when It comes to any kind of amp, i'm clueless. I usually play with what i'm given. Well my Keyboard is a Roland RD700 GX. I play at a big church with another keyboard, but i'm tired of using their amp. It makes the keyboard sound like a toy. Without the amp it sounds great though. I want an amp that makes my Roland keyboard sound great, just like a grand piano type. I will be taking my keyboard, and new amp(hopefully) to other churches, and gigs to play. All the other band members, have their own instruments, and amps, and all I need is my amp. Also I have no clue about watts. What's enough watts? Remember is for gigs, and to play in different churches. I need help in choosing, so please let me know how many watts I need. If all keyboard amps sound the same(that way I could get a cheaper one with more watts). Just name all the different good loud sounding amps out there, and if you can write their price range aswell. Also this amp is only going to be use for my keyboard, no other instrument. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
First off stop looking at things called "keyboard amps". They are OK if you play electronic sounds but not for grand piano. What you want is a pair of PA speakers. The same kind that a vocalist would use but you need a lot more bass

Watts don't matter so much. What you care about is sound level or "loudness.". This is determined by multiplying the speaker sensitivity by the amp's power in watts. If you go through the calculation you will quickly see that speaker sensitivity matters a whole lot more. As an example if you currently have an 87 dB speaker and a 100W amp and you want to double the power. You could buy a 200W amp or a 90 dB speaker and keep the same amp. What this tells you is that a 100W system can be exactly as loud as a 200W system so don't look just at the watts as it can be hugely misleading.

I think you might want a pair of self powered PA speakers. They will be the ones with a 12" bass driver and a horn tweeter. Buy two of them and then thing seriously about adding a sub-woofer as your piano goes down pretty low, (an octave lower then a bass guitar) Your over al system with the sub needs to go down to about 40Hz

Ask a Question