Help! How do I get my Studiologic Keyboard to play?

Reaction score
I know it sounds weird but I am a beginning piano player and bought a Studiologic 880 keyboard second hand because I got a great deal in order to learn to play. A piano was too big for my apartment:) So, I buy it off this kid and he says all I need is the chord in the back and I'm good to go. Well, I have now purchased, speakers and an amp and plugged it in and I can't hear anything. I know it is connected right so here is my question and sorry if it is elementary but I'm a beginner. It does not have a Midi cable connected in the back and I have one coming in the mail. Does it have to be hooked up to the computer to hear the keyboard? I thought I would be able to at least hear the keyboard without being hooked up to my computer all the time. if anyone knows what the deal is, I would sure appreciate your expertise. I hope the kid didn't rip me off. Thanks!

Reaction score
What did you plug your amp into? The jack labeled 'Volume'?

I'm pretty sure that what you bought is a MIDI Controller, not a 'keyboard' (there's not a really good term for a keyboard that also produces sound). What that means is that your SL 880 doesn't produce any sound on its own. You can either use MIDI to connect it to another keyboard that does produce sound and have audio output or you connect it to your computer and have other computer software produce the sound.

Reaction score
thanks! yes, I did put the amp plug into "volume" and it didn't work. So could I use something like garage band or would I need to purchase other software?

Reaction score
Garage band would work. I think the SL 880 has USB output though? If so, your Mac should hopefully just detect it. You tell Garage Band to use it as a MIDI device, and you're good to go.

For your reference, the volume slot is for another pedal, one that looks like this and is used for adjusting the volume of your keyboard via MIDI.

Reaction score
Hi I bought the same (MIDI controller) keyboard as you, the sl-880, If i want to plug it into my computer, what sort of wires or plugs should i use?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All you need is a class compliant USB MIDI adapter to plug in to your controller and go. The 880 has no USB port so you'll need one of these to make it work.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard/dp/B001LJUVO4

or

http://www.amazon.com/CREATIVE-EMU-XMIDI-MIDI-Interface/dp/B000JLU26W

Just remember to plug the DIN Plug marked IN to the connector marked OUT on your keyboard and vice versa.

Then all you should need is some decent DAW or VSTi software and you should be good to go.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Based on the pictures and information in the manual, it looks like the SL-880 has two parallel MIDI-Out ports and no USB-to-Host ports. If you have multiple audio devices or musical instruments/controllers to connect to your computer then you could buy an audio interface; but if you've got just the one controller then it would be far simpler and a lot cheaper to buy a MIDI-to-USB cable/adapter. These have two MIDI plugs-- one for MIDI-In, the other for MIDI-Out-- but since the SL-880 doesn't have a MIDI-In port you don't need to connect both MIDI plugs into the SL-880, just the MIDI-In plug. (A MIDI-In plug connects to a MIDI-Out port, and vice versa.) Connect the MIDI-In plug to either of the MIDI-Out ports on your SL-880, then connect the USB plug to your computer. If there's a driver for the adapter then you'll need to install it on your computer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you plan to use it with your computer as your virtual instrument device then as Michael said, just plug the USB IN connector to the USB OUT on the keyboard. Either one should work but you may be able to selectively activate them in the keyboard's software.

A nice thing about that design is that you could also plug the second port into a Ketron SD2 or SD4 module and play music with or without the computer attached.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought the midi to usb adapter, but what software should i install that will recognize my midi controller?

Reaction score
I bought a studiologic Val-88 in great condition but I know nothing at all about playing or anything if anyone knows anyone interested in buying they can contact me 38six5six1seven74five or email (e-mail address removed) I’ll make them a great deal I hope someone can get the use it needs

Ask a Question