Help identify SK1-73 small broken white plastic piece (Fatar TP/80 keybed)

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I just bought and received a used Hammond SK1-73. When I unpacked it there was a small broken-off white plastic hook-like piece wedged in front of the A6 key. I retrieved it with needle nose pliers. Pics are attached.

I have not been able to find any detailed diagrams of the Fatar TP/80 keybed or individual keys to see if the broken-off piece came from one of the white keys (and I haven’t opened up the SK1-73 as of yet).

? Does anyone by chance know where this small white plastic piece came from in an SK1-73 (Fatar TP/80) and what its function was?

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• SK1-73-Plastic-Piece-Front.JPG
    SK1-73-Plastic-Piece-Front.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 10
  • SK1-73-Plastic-Piece-Side.JPG
    SK1-73-Plastic-Piece-Side.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 10
  • SK1-73-Keybed-TopEnd-A6.JPG
    SK1-73-Keybed-TopEnd-A6.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Turn on the keyboard and try all 73 keys, if they all work as they are supposed to then I wouldnt even worry about it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It looks like a piece of a white key designed to guide and limit vertical travel for the key.

If all the keys are still level and working properly then don't worry about it.

However, if you pick up the board, invert it and shake it are there any other pieces rattling around?

You may still have to open it up and replace a key.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thx for the info. There are no other loose parts in the SK1-73 that I can hear.

I think I figured out what broke off from one of the SK1-73 white keys and also the specific key.
Attached is an image of the Fatar TP/80 key mechanism (finally found a semi-detailed diagram) with a circle around what likely broke off.
And also a vid of the C6 key making a "ting" sound (no other keys make that sound).

(Well I cannot attach a .MOV file to this post...)

The C6 key still triggers notes ok, but it does physically sound like the return spring is doing something funny.

Thoughts?
Does this missing hook-like piece make that C6 key prone to failure, or is it just a (sonic) aesthetic thing?

Thx,
Jim

Attachments

• JimW-Circled-61TP8O_drawing.jpg
    JimW-Circled-61TP8O_drawing.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 4
  • JimW-Circled-61TP8O_drawing.pdf
    90.6 KB · Views: 4

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I would replace the key ASAP before it causes secondary damage to the mechanism.

Gary. ;)

Reaction score
Ok, the keys are all still level, but there's a definite "ting" from that one C6 key (which I'm guessing is probably something to do with the spring - sans opening up the SK1). I'll try to find a TP/80 replacement "C" key, though I haven't been able to locate one as of yet online. Maybe Hammond Tech Support will have a source for me tomorrow.

? Any suggestions for a TP/80 replacement keys source?

Btw, my last post to another forum allowed a .MOV upload - if anyone wants to hear what the C6 "ting" sounds like:

Thx,
Jim

Reaction score
Btw I just figured out that the part name of the Fatar keybed is TP/8O (with "O" as in "Organ") and NOT TP/80 (as in the number 80 "eighty").

I still have not located a source for a TP/8O "C" replacement key.

Jim

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Also these guys.

Any one or all of these guys should be able to ship it

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just to close the loop on this...

I finally opened up the SK1-73 today (it does NOT match the SK1 Service Manual diagrams that I have wrt removing the Top Cover - small "L" bracket vs two "L" channels) and discovered that it actually was the low-F key that had that small plastic piece broken off from it (pics attached). The "ting" sound on the C6 key (that I though was the problem key) was just something funny with the return spring and after I reseated the C6 spring the "ting" went away.

Hammond Tech Support and Hammond Central were both very helpful in locating a replacement key, but in the end, since it's the low-F on the keyboard (and it looked like I might have to remove the keybed to pop-out the key), I decided to just leave the low-F key as it is (it produces sound ok).

Anyways, thanks for all the replies.

Ask a Question