Help! Keyboard chord question about 'Dont Tell Me you Love me'

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

My name is Joe, I'm the Keyboard player in a 80's-90s Rock Cover Band from Dallas Texas. One of the songs we want to cover is Night Ranger classic 'Dont Tell Me You Love Me'

QUESTION: The Tab says the short keyboard riff during the Verse (and interlude) is F#m and E, but on my Korg Triton, It does not sound like the recording and I'm stumped as to what he's actually playing there??

Was hoping someone could opine or maybe suggest something. Ive also tried the F#M chord inversions also but none sound like Allan Fitzgerald's Synth sound during the verse and interlude. Any suggestions??

I'd sincerely appreciate your suggestions/opinions.

Thanks!! Joe
Dallas TX

Reaction score
Welcome.

If you visit ultimate guitar dot com and search you will find transcriptions that have been posted including one for ..... Dont Tell Me You Love Me.

On the page that shows the transcribed song there isthe function for changing the key and once changed all other chords transposed as well.

Reaction score
Welcome Joe.

First time I've ever encountered this song.

I could be wrong but it sounds like straight B to A triads to me. Root position around where Middle C is.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome Joe.

First time I've ever encountered this song.

I could be wrong but it sounds like straight B to A triads to me. Root position around where Middle C is.

Good luck.

Thanks CowboyNo! Ill try that. I asked the pianist at my church about it and he said it was possibly an A Bass with RH: B D# F#, then A C# E. That sounds closer but cant imagine every site I go to has this wrong. Odd.

Thanks!!! Joe

Reaction score
Thanks CowboyNo! Ill try that. I asked the pianist at my church about it and he said it was possibly an A Bass with RH: B D# F#, then A C# E. That sounds closer but cant imagine every site I go to has this wrong. Odd.

Thanks!!! Joe
I meant CowbyNQ! : ) appreciate it

Reaction score
Welcome.

If you visit ultimate guitar dot com and search you will find transcriptions that have been posted including one for ..... Dont Tell Me You Love Me.

On the page that shows the transcribed song there is the function for changing the key and once changed all other chords transposed as well.
Perfect! Thanks Biggles! Ill check that out. Appreciate you hlp.

Joe

Reaction score
I asked the pianist at my church about it and he said it was possibly an A Bass with RH: B D# F#, then A C# E. That sounds closer but cant imagine every site I go to has this wrong. Odd.
Yep so your pianist friend and I have suggested the same thing, with the exception that he's adding the A bass. I'm not hearing any left hand myself, but both work well enough over the song.

The reason that the charts you encounter on line can sometimes be wrong is they're very rarely designed with the keyboard player in mind. What these charts are usually articulating is what the GUITARS are playing. Sometimes this is fine as you can extrapolate the keys lines easily, but occasionally the keys are doing something completely different, as you've found with this track.

Ask a Question