Help me with my Roland GW 8 please.....

Reaction score
Hi all
Recently purchased a Roland GW-8 ....narrowed it down to this or a YAmaha MM6
Couldn't decide so this came up for sale locally so got it.
Anyway I am an absolute beginner , don't wanna get bogged down in theory and learning to read music other than chords, and jamming with the keyboard, this has a USB port where I can play along to any song, cool eh ;-)
But the user manual is not great and can't find any decent tutorials on YouTube other than unpacking and a few peeps playing the odd sone....so I have this amazing workstation and not got a clue how to get the best out of it!!! Does anyone know of any decent vids or whatever to help me learn to jam and have fun with this,,,,or shud I sell & get a bass to do my jazz funk that way....help me ;-)
Cheers
Dave

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Define absolute beginner.

When my daughter auditioned at Furman University, they decided to be efficient and also do a keyboard placement exam at the same time. The exam wasn't meant to determine if a person would be accepted to the music school, just to figure out which keyboard class they would be placed in if they were accepted.

There was a saxophone player who took less than ten seconds in the room. First question, "please play a middle C." Answer, "I don't know." His level of beginner became obvious real quickly.

So, when you say you're a beginner, what do you mean? New to electronic keyboards? New to keyboards in general? New to performing music?

I will point out that it's extremely difficult to talk about music without sharing the same language, and music notation tends to be that language. It's not impossible, but it is difficult.

Ask a Question