Help! Need some advice...

Reaction score
Hello,

Could anyone let me know what I need to get a Evolution MK-149 keyboard working? It used to be my son's, and he used it a lot way back in 2001. Regretfully he died of cancer in 2002… I still have this keyboard and now would like to give this keyboard to my grandson. But I don't seem to have any cables (which ones do I need anyway?). My son had a iMac computer. Can you use this without a computer? If so, what is needed?

Any advise anyone can give me, would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
The first question is what are you planning on doing with it? The Evolution MK-149 is a MIDI controller, which means it produces no sounds on its own. To actually make sounds would require either a computer or an external sound module.

Reaction score
That you for responding.
I would like to give to keyboard to my grandson, as it seems he is quite musical. I would like him to learn to play the keyboard. I think it would be best if we used an external sound module. What would you recommend?

Reaction score
Well with a MIDI Controller.. you could go through old rack mount equipment with MIDI capability like the Korg products.. but, there are more " easier " alternatives like the Korg Legacy Cell. If you have a computer that the boy can use.. Look into the Korg Legacy cell Standalone application. There is a lot of synthesis to be had there! Theres also a cool prophet Standalone VST as well.
hope any of that helps :/

best of luck and blessings,

-Z

Ask a Question