Help - Need to find a switchable midi router

Reaction score
I'm currently using a switched midi router (powered) to connect 3 keyboards and a vocalizer for live performance. I've a attached a rudimentary diagram of the unit I'm using (I've had it for years - don't know who makes it and have never seen another one like it). It is somewhat limited in as far as it will only route midi signals basically from Midi in 1 to either of the 2 banks of outs and Midi in 2 to either of the same 2 banks of outs, if that makes any sense. "router" isn't really the term I would choose to describe it, but I can't think of another term that works. What I would rather find would be a unit that takes even just 1 Midi in and sends to 4 outs, but with the capability of switching each of those outs on/off during live performance.
Any help locating this type of unit (with perhaps a little more switching capability) would be greatly appreciated.
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 12.08.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exactly - I can't find anything, including something like the one I'm using now. Frustrating.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What's wrong with your existing unit? It looks like a pretty straightforward wiring job. Any chance you could repar it yourself or have a tech repair it?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary - There's nothing wrong with the unit I have - it just doesn't have on/off switching on the midi outs. I finally found the exact tool I was after - a W5 unit by Philip Rees. I got pretty excited until I discovered they quit manufacturing in 2005. Here's a screenshot of what I found.View attachment 1645

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might want to consider using a laptop or a tablet or a phone to run MIDI Routing software.

Then you'd have the flexibility to connect as few or as many devices as you'd like.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You might want to consider using a laptop or a tablet or a phone to run MIDI Routing software.

Then you'd have the flexibility to connect as few or as many devices as you'd like.

Gary ;)
I guess that would be a possible solution, although I’m already running 2 iPads - one for my Xair12 mixer (for my rig) and the other for my own in-ear monitor feed from the FOH Behringer X32, and a tablet for setlists. However, I did find an old Casio unit on EBay today that has 2 ins and 8 outs, with all outs switched on or off from either midi in. Hopefully that will work (only around $125CDN). Thanks for your constructive input. Appreciate it. Cheers.

Reaction score
I think you're looking for a Casio TB-1 MIDI Thru Box or the (programmable) Digital Music Corp MX8. I think JL Cooper made something like this too.

Reaction score
I think you're looking for a Casio TB-1 MIDI Thru Box or the (programmable) Digital Music Corp MX8. I think JL Cooper made something like this too.
The Casio thru box is exactly what I found on Ebay, so waiting impatiently for shipment!

Ask a Question