Help...need to learn fast

Reaction score
Hello, I've been siniging professionally for several years now, covers/corporate/etc. I dont play an instrument. I would really like to learn how to play keys. It would really add to the my current band and I could do some solo stuff on the side.
What is the fastest way/method to learn? I know it will take time, but Im having to let gigs go because I cant play an instrument. I could really use the money. I am also interested in learning more about using WAV files, but thats probably another conversation. I have a set list of about 50+ songs, ranging from Motown, 70's-to present and anything in between.
I've read on the forums about different types of keyboards, so with your advice I think I can make a pretty good choice about which type. I just need to know the fastest way to learn so I don't have to keep letting these gigs go by. At this point, I dont have to be the best keyboardist in the world. I just want to be able to play well enough to accompany myself while singing. In time, I can focus on being a much better player.
Thank you in advance! I really appreciate it.
FYI i know people usually say guitar would probably be a wiser choice, but I just prefer spending my time learning key. Keys just do more for me than guitar.
Thanks

Reaction score
This is what I do: Just start playing. Practice every day. I play 1-4-5-6 minor chords in lots of keys to make chord changes quickly. I play along with the radio to train my ear to identify the key and the chords to unfamiliar songs. I took the keyboard to an open mic session last week to prepare for gigs.

The Y_man

Reaction score
I learnt many moons ago on a chord organ, which were kind of the analogue ancestor of today's keyborads. This taught me a lot about chords. Then my parent's bought me a little Casiotone MT-800. The MT-800 itself is the ancestor of today's Casio LK series with lighted keyboards to guide you along - and I must say it helped me a lot in learning songs etc. So maybe something like the LK may be a starting point?
http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/emi/key_lighting/

The Y-man

Reaction score
I've had some nice responses, but am writing this just for clarification.
I've seen programs out there like, PlaypianoTODAY, that say they can teach you to play by ear very fast.....etc. Does it work? Keep in mind I know bascially the 50+ songs I will be playing vocally. I just need to have something to go along with me singing. The venue(s) want me to sing; not so much worried about my skills on keys. In the future I would love to be really, really good on keys, but to get things started, I just need to be able to get through a night of me making some kind of music while I sing.
I'm actually very envious of people that can play an instrument. I think people take it for granted sometimes, cause although I am known for my voice, I am completly dependant on others to make the music. To make this work, Ai realize i cant just depend on my vocals.
I want to try and be one of the best on keys, but I just need to get the gig right now, as I am sure many of you can understand. With today's economy, being able to supplement with solo/duo stuff would really help me out. I am wide open to ideas, I just have to figure out to be able to play well enough so I can sing in solo situations when they come up.
Thanks again for advice.....

Reaction score
Major chords are Root+4halfsteps+3halfsteps
Minor chords are Root+3halfsteps+4halfsteps.

Google these terms if you don't already know what they mean.

After you figure out how simple the above formula is, and can play these chrords off all 12 Roots (will take you about a day), look up chord inversions and learn them. Though they are technically unnecessary, they help you keep your hand in one position while you play.

Then, pull up some chord/lyric charts for a song you can already sing. You can find these on the internet for free.

Then, play and sing.

Beyond that, you'll need to learn scales and a few other things. This forum seems to frown upon answers other than "take lessons for years before you attempt to play professionally," but you wanted the fastest path, and there it is.

Good luck.

Ask a Question