Help needed ... how do you record your keyboard into software like pro tools?

Reaction score
How can I record all of my midi tracks --- over 10+ on my keyboard....record all of them as SEPARATE individual tracks on pro tools on my computer...

Is there anyway to record all of the tracks into 10 individual tracks in my computer in one fell swoop?

My problem is that, I've been muting 9 tracks and recording one at a time...for 3 minutes each....just to get each track recorded separately on pro tools....I KNOW there has to be a way around this...

Some people I've spoke with have mentioned something about a midi clock/midi machine control thing....not sure if thats what i need....any help / clarity on the subject would be GREAT....thanks!

Reaction score
I don't know anything about pro tools, but if you need separate track recordings try n-Track studio.

You record one track, then you record the second one while the first one is playing, then
the third one while the first two are playing etc. No need to mute the track. Just record one after the other. After you're done, you have complete control over all your tracks.

Reaction score
Well, from what I can tell, if you want each track's analog audio result from the the synth/sound module as seperate tracks, there is no other way aside from having a synth/sound module that can output 10 seperate audio tracks, 10 synths/sound modules, plus you would need a pc or system that can record all 10 at the same time.

The key thing to keep in mind is if you have an analog audio output you are using to record to the input, there is no way to seperate that. If you are recording digitally there should be a way(wether it sends midi or digital tracks). I actually think mLAN has support for this kind of things, but mLAN stuff can be price/niche and is still rising so not alot of things have support for it.

If it's midi information that is recorded, it should be fairly easy to record them seperately to each track in one swoop since midi use a track for each instrument anyway.

Reaction score
so basically....threes no other way to do it..... unless i have an audio interface with 10 ins ....and a keyboard with 10 outs.....and record all of the tracks simultaneously....right?...

Reaction score
mack387, right! I don't think your Protools is midi compatible. Unless your keyboard has an output for each track on the sequencer (which is what I am assuming you have created) it will only be available in a stereo transfer. Adding individual tracks is over-dubbing. I do this type of recording alot for songs ideas. Starting with a click track, adding a rhythm guitar, then sometimes 8-10 individual drum tracks, bass etc...there is no fast way around this type of over-dubbing, it takes alot of time and patience.

Reaction score
The thing with what you are trying is well, just so few people try to do things this way that finding the right setup and equipment for this is pretty much reserved for high-end studio quality equipment, gear and software.

I'm having similair problems with things being possible, just doing it is a damn pain in the donkey or I need some expensive niche products.

Reaction score
This is pretty familiar stuff letsel, seems us [musicians] will spend 4grand on equipment, but when it comes to recording gear we'll go ....what? are you kidding, that's outrageous! and...unless your going to have a recording studio or related biz its not worth the investment. There are iexpensive solutions to this problem, such as the Delta 1010(?) ad/da converter by MAudio, its got 8 outs for 5hundred I think. Of course this doesn't help the fact that if we don't buy a keyboard with a sequencer and matched outputs we're not going to transfer it in real time anyway. There are keyboards nowadays that have built-in recording and [cdr copies] in the unit. All it takes is money!!! haha

Reaction score
Ok guys...I'm making some progress....

i can record audio from my keyboard to pro tools and it sounds GREAT....

now....what i need to do is...for the keyboard to send midi signals to pro tools which when played back in pro tools....will trigger the sounds in my keyboard back into my audio interface (mbox 2)....resulting in a perfectly aligned midi/audio track.

So far, I'm able to visually see midi data going into pro tools....but when I play it back, my keyboard doesn't respond.

I have an Mbox 2, and was wondering, what kind of settings must your keyboard have to make this work? I know it has something to do with midi beat clock/mmc functions but I can't exactly pin point it....

thanks a lot for all the feedback....great forum....talk to you guys soon

Ask a Question