Help needed - which creative keyboard...?

Reaction score
Dear all,

Thank You in advance for You thoughs,suggestions and involving in discussion.

I am looking for a solid, creative keyboard with 76-88 (…graded) keys.

It will be used for:

- composing

- one-man-band live performances

I am not sure if I can get all I want in one instrument, but I will write it anyway.

I am looking for something to work without computer.

I am not sure if it is to be workstation or arranger…

COMPOSING:

- piano, electro-ambient and orchestral music

- to be working as DAW: to be able to record and work with individual music tracks/parts and wriggle it throught effects

- to save it as finished music file product

ONE-MAN-BAND LIVE PERFORMACE:

- I want to create around 50 “music-back-band” finished and programed songs so I can play live (with the “back-band”) a piano part above or some instrument part as I wish, or to sing, etc.

- - live control of effects (oscillators and so) for live-playing part

I can explain further if needed.

Sorry if my English is confusing.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend?

The features you're looking for don't come cheap.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I own a Kurzweil PC3K8 that fits almost all of your needs. But like I said, they don't come cheap.

I'd say either that or a Korg Kronos or a Roland FA-08

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank You Gary!

As cheaper as it can, I think that my budget can not be beyond 1500-1600 $

I was looking some clips about Roland FA-08 and, yes, I also think that something like that could do it.
I will also check Your keyboard and Kronos, thank You.

As I am not much familiar with the digital keyboards, I am wondering (tip on composing):
When I compose/record a project (for this, as I understood, I must use sequnecer); and I want to record for example 10 seconds) of the first instrument line (from possible 6 line/tracks for example); after I am done, can I continue from 11 second (and so on untill the end of a song)...?...like I am gradually writing on paper...

P.s....in the beginning I was looking at Yamaha moxf and Roland Juno Stage, but I was not sure about this two...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Of the three I mentioned only the FA-08 is close to your price range.

As for sequencers, the best way to visualize them is as a grid layout of tracks and measures.

Note data can be recorded to each individual measure and then edited and manipulated and appended or inserted at will by the editing facilities of your sequencer or keyboard. Think of it as a word processor for music.

FYI I find computer sequencers far more intuitive and easier to use than the ones built into most keyboards. A mouse and keyboard and on screen menus is far easier than memorizing a bunch of multifunction buttons and deep menu diving to perform the simplest of tasks.

My advice to you is to download the user manual for any keyboards you're interested in and see for yourself which ones are the least complicated to use.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank You Gary,I appreciate it very much!

Just one more tip..

What would be, in Your opinion, a cheaper solution in terms of using a solid keystation and computer maybe?
Can I do that in order of what I described and can I expect some problems (especially in live performance)?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't go the controller/computer route for live performances.

Nothing can ruin your day quicker than a Windows crash in the middle of a live show.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question