Help needed with Roland Edirol PCR-800

Reaction score
I've only just started mucking around with this keyboard and I'm absolutely overwhelmed with the MIDI messages for the PCR Editor. If anyone could explain to me what they really are, or refer me to a website, I would greatly appreciate it. I need to know whether there's a channel message that enables me to change instruments through Garageband. The manual didn't help much, just explained how to assign channel messages but didn't say what they were. So yea, any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Reaction score
Well, I don't know anything about Garageband, but I have looked at the PCR-800 before and plan on getting one myself once time and money permits.

But, the basics of midi in a nutshell: Midi is a digital abstraction of music information. In laymans terms, it is what is being played, in terms of which notes, how long, how hard, with what changes over time etc... as compared to the actuall analog sound wave that results once you feed a midi piece into a synth or module. Like sheet music instead of the actual music being played. Midi has support of 16 simultaneous channels, which means it can transmit 16 sets of 'sheet music' if you will.

There is a midi message which changes the instrument called "program change". Standard midi supports a total of 127 programs, there is a default set of instruments assigned to these programs, but you should be able to modify and tailor it to your needs, assuming Garageband is worth it's salt. I've had a look at the manual(http://lib.roland.co.jp/manual/en/dl_07-18641/PCR-300_500_800_e2.pdf) and the list there shows that the PCR can transmit program change, which should change the sound on Garageband or any midi synth/sound module. However, it doesn't change the channel, but I don't think you really need to given your setup. Changing the channel wouldn't be a midi message but something you set up on the PCR-800, I think using the control map buttons would be best. From skimming, it seems you need to read "Using control maps" section which starts on page 8, "Loading control maps" on page 23, and probably "Program change" on page 48.

But, this is about as helpful as I can be without any extra info. What exactly are you trying to do technically(change channels) and overall(play live, record), I'm also assuming you have PCR Editor, which you should. Don't know how to change or modify the PCR's control maps without a pc, and I'm not going to read the whole manual for that.

Anyway, that's that. Welcome to the forums! Hope you stick around.

Reaction score
Thanks letsel, for the information!

Yea, I do have PCR Editor, but I don't really get how you do the programming for the Program Change function. How do you assign the different instruments in GarageBand to the Program Change number?

And also, the manual said that "You can select sounds on your sound module from the PCR". By sound module, does it mean GarageBand?

Urgh... I know they're probably dumb questions but yea, it's just so confusing to me at the moment.

Reaction score
Well, keep in mind I don't own a PCR, I just derived that info from skimming over the manuals contents.

I did a quick search on Garageband and although I don't know the details, it seems that is a limited piece of software in terms of midi compatability. The wikipedia article doesn't mention anything about being able to change programs, but it also doesn't mention that it's not possible. I'm afraid I can't help you there, you will have to read the help files. I also don't know if Garageband uses some internal midi synth, a system synth or is limited to the sounds that ship with or you can get from expansion packs. If the latter is the case there should be a way to map the sounds to the midi programs, or if not, it's probably not possible to do real-time program changes.

I'm not sure how exactly or what your complete setup is, but you could try hooking up an external midi synth into the audio in. Then you can just set up the PCR to change instruments according to the synth, and you would record like you would record a guitar.

But I still don't know what you are trying to do. If it's just recording, you probably can get away with not doing live program changes and just record each part individually. If you want to use the live jam thing, then you probably want to be able to use program change.

But like I said, I can't help much with the details, you just need to read the relevant manual sections on using PCR Editor. I think there is also a way to set things up without PCR Editor by directly using the PCR-800.

Last note, yeah, things are very confusing in the beginning. Just try to stick it out, things will start making more sense over time. I still don't know how to use all my keyboard's functions yet, and still take the manual with me every time I go to practice with my band.

Reaction score
I've read through the whole manual and flipped through the appendix and re-read the parts that I probably need to read (about program change and all) and I just can't seem to get it. Ah well. Guess I need someone who has a PCR and Garageband to help me with this. Heh. In the PCR control map list, there's Garageband, so I'm assuming I can do something with Garageband. But yea, I just don't know how.

And I'm trying to do live jamming, so yea. Ah well, I'll figure something out. In the meantime, I'll just keep pressing the down and up keys on my laptop and pray real hard that it doesn't freeze on me. Heh. Been working alright so far so yea, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the comforting advice at the end too. Lol. I'm just so freaked out that I don't know anything at all about this keyboard and yea, ah well. I'm glad it's not just me. =D I look back at the piano now and I'm like "That's so easy...". Heh.

Reaction score
I want to have a quick ask as well

I am also having trouble to use the PCR 800 for live. I have been using it as midi input to computer for a while, and all I do with it is hit the notes and do composing. So I don't even have an amp, is it necessary to have an amp to test if I have successfully setup all the audio source or midi stuffs into my PCR800? I am going to buy one anyway, but I only want to make sure if it's working fine.

I've read through the user manual and still don't quite get the idea...

Reaction score
Likewise! I am having trouble using the PCR 800 with Logic. I can successfully do all the functions in the manual, however the thing that is confusing me is knowing which numbers assign to which functions.
I want to set the PCR up to have mixer functions, to change functions such as Cutoff frequencies for the soft synths and trigger samples etc. I know this is all possible, I just don't know which midi numbers corespond to which function.

For example, I know that the standard MIDI control number for volume is 7 but what if I want to select the 8 faders to 8 seperate track volumes, how do I find the numbers bearing in mind Logiv doesn't have a midi implementation chart.

Also when assigning the faders and knobs in logic rather than using the PCR Editing software, the codes look something like B1 90 Lo7 any ideas what these means?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I don't know if this one is still active but I'll post some answers anyways...

First of all, Garageband does not support any midimessages except the transport functions (play, ff, rew, jump to start, loop and record)
if you want to use them, the easiest way to assign them is garageremote
it reads messages the pcr tells you and then gives commands to garageband. if you have problems configuring it (AFTER YOUR HAVE TRIED AND READ THE README) you can mail me and i can help you.
for the rest, yeah well, you have to keep pushing the up and down keys..(so do I)

@thefleaz:
you should at least have some speakers just to test if everything is working. but if it writes down the notes you are playing, it should work. besides, the pcr hasn't got anything to do with audio, its only a midi conroller ;)

@01chlam:
i don't know logic but maybe it has a midi learn function? so you just klick the midi learn command of (e.g.) the cutoff, turn a knob, press a button and the function should be assigned.
sometimes you can find the midi implementation chart on the internet and then assign the things by number. (it may say, the cutoff in this synth is on number 64 and then you program the pcr).
oh and maybe the easiest way: here are the official control maps. maybe you can google "edirol pcr logic 8 control map" or something like that...
we should open a database with usermade control maps; haven't found something like that and could come in handy.

the midicodes (like B1 90 Lo7 ) are pretty difficult to understand. if you google some "midi messages" or something like that, you should find answers. I think the code is the "system exclusive" way of writing a message.
This world of midi is pretty interesting but sometimes very confusing.
a nice thing for newbies is cakewalks desktop music handbook . I'm pretty much a newbie too, so no offense :)
I also read it and it's a nice overview.

I hope i could help
greez

Reaction score
Hii everyone I also need a help from you

I have a PCR 800 and I'ld like to know how can I assign only midi chanel change (not program change, not control etc.. only chanel from 1-16) to buttons (A1 - A8) and (B1 to B8). I've read the user guide for several times. I tried a lot of things. Also tried with PCR editor, but unable to have only midi chanels changes.

My goal is to have the same function as the knob named "VALUE". In this way i can put several chanel to those buttons in order to play live while changing sounds.

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help

Regads

Reaction score
pcr channel change workaround

pcr 800 is really very great interface...

i have made some workaround for midi chanel change
may be helpful o you
the rar file contains the instructions
you van change channels using pads b1 to a9 and assign different instruments on each chanel in your daw

files download http://rapidshare.com/files/385719754/chanel_change_1.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
pcr channel change workaround

pcr 800 is really very great interface...

i have made some workaround for midi chanel change
may be helpful o you
the rar file contains the instructions
you van change channels using pads b1 to a9 and assign different instruments on each chanel in your daw

please check my foram link http://www.vstclub.com/forum/59-40744-1#587290

files download http://rapidshare.com/files/385719754/chanel_change_1.zip
I am very interested to see your midi channel workaround using the velocity pads. I've been searching for a solution to this problem for quite some time. would you be able to re-post the rar file?

Ask a Question