help on how to transpose and recognize keys

Reaction score
hi everyone! am new here. i just want to know how to transpose and how to quickly recognize ones key while singing and easily finds it in the keyboard

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Do you mean find the key that best fits your voice range for a given song? Or do you mean find the key that the song is played in-- i.e., for picking out the melody by ear?

What I usually do if I don't have a keyboard handy is sing "Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do" in my head, or whistle it, to find the starting note for a song. But if I'm at a keyboard-- including a virtual instrument or other software that includes a keyboard display for entering notes-- then I play a few notes until I find the one that seems to best match the leading note. Then I try to pick out the remaining notes of the melody. Once I've got that, I look at which black keys are used so I can figure out the key based on the sharps or flats.

But as far as finding which key to transpose a song to so it best fits your voice range, I guess you just transpose down if you're having trouble hitting the high notes, or transpose up if you're having trouble hitting the low notes. I don't sing-- except when I'm alone!-- so I can't offer good advice there. If I'm singing along to a song in my car, I usually just jump up or down an octave when I get to a part that I can't sing comfortably! ;)

Here's a video that someone on another forum recently shared a link to, which I found very interesting:

Reaction score
Theres a neat little program for guitar players (I've wrote them about hey... how bout us keys guys but)... Its free (but the pop-ups will bug you till you pay $39 for it... which I consider a deal)... Its called riffstation.... It will play a .wav or .mp3 file, let you change the tempo (need to slow it down to actually get the lead right?) or change the key (Transpose) (even in partials... so that 60's tune they sped up or slowed down the tape, so its between keys) Or so you can play it in a more appropriate key to your voice. It also calculates (and yes "calculates" ) the note being played (its not perfect by any means).. AND lets you notch out frequencies (so... you want to play bass ..notch out the bass.... you want to do the vocal, notch out the vocal)... Its not perfect.... but it is cheap. AND, you can ask it to display the "tabs" (where your fingers go) on a guitar ... (now THAT would be a wonderful thing for new keyboard players if they made a keys version.... https://riffstation.com/

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I've heard the name before, but had never checked it out to see what it can do. Based on your description, I'll definitely be checking it out now! :)

Reaction score
Theres a neat little program for guitar players (I've wrote them about hey... how bout us keys guys but)... Its free (but the pop-ups will bug you till you pay $39 for it... which I consider a deal)... Its called riffstation.... It will play a .wav or .mp3 file, let you change the tempo (need to slow it down to actually get the lead right?) or change the key (Transpose) (even in partials... so that 60's tune they sped up or slowed down the tape, so its between keys) Or so you can play it in a more appropriate key to your voice. It also calculates (and yes "calculates" ) the note being played (its not perfect by any means).. AND lets you notch out frequencies (so... you want to play bass ..notch out the bass.... you want to do the vocal, notch out the vocal)... Its not perfect.... but it is cheap. AND, you can ask it to display the "tabs" (where your fingers go) on a guitar ... (now THAT would be a wonderful thing for new keyboard players if they made a keys version.... https://riffstation.com/
Cool! Thanks for the info

Ask a Question