help on how to transpose and recognize keys

Discussion in 'General Keyboard Discussion' started by Marvellous, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Marvellous

Marvellous

hi everyone! am new here. i just want to know how to transpose and how to quickly recognize ones key while singing and easily finds it in the keyboard

Marvellous, Jan 7, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Marvellous

SeaGtGruff I meant to play that note! Moderator

Do you mean find the key that best fits your voice range for a given song? Or do you mean find the key that the song is played in-- i.e., for picking out the melody by ear?

What I usually do if I don't have a keyboard handy is sing "Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do" in my head, or whistle it, to find the starting note for a song. But if I'm at a keyboard-- including a virtual instrument or other software that includes a keyboard display for entering notes-- then I play a few notes until I find the one that seems to best match the leading note. Then I try to pick out the remaining notes of the melody. Once I've got that, I look at which black keys are used so I can figure out the key based on the sharps or flats.

But as far as finding which key to transpose a song to so it best fits your voice range, I guess you just transpose down if you're having trouble hitting the high notes, or transpose up if you're having trouble hitting the low notes. I don't sing-- except when I'm alone!-- so I can't offer good advice there. If I'm singing along to a song in my car, I usually just jump up or down an octave when I get to a part that I can't sing comfortably! ;)

Here's a video that someone on another forum recently shared a link to, which I found very interesting:

SeaGtGruff, Jan 7, 2017
    Becky and Oriane Lima like this.
    1. Advertisements