Style files doesn't show up in E363 keyboard

Reaction score
Last year I purchased my Yamaha E363 digital keyboard. Learned all the basics, chords progression and other techniques. Now for the first time, I tried to load external styles (downloaded from internet) but not a single one shows up in style selection section.

I am using Yamaha music downloader for transferring style fie. I put the file in flash memory but it does not appear in my keyboard. What am I doing wrong??
Before posting this question, I have browsed everywhere for the answer but failed. Please tell detailed answer as I am new to this thing n steps to overcome this issue. I am desperately waiting for an answer n guideline.

I have also attached screenshots....I am trying to use these styles

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 551
  • screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 565
  • screenshot3.png
    screenshot3.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 838

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There are two main types of Yamaha style files-- SFF1 and SFF2 ("SFF" means "Style File Format"). You can't tell whether a given style file is SFF1 or SFF2 just by looking at its name, but there is a MIDI text message inside that indicates whether it's SFF1 or SFF2. Anyway, SFF2 files cannot be used with the PSR-E models. If you transfer SFF2 files to your keyboard's memory, or put them on a USB flash drive-- if the model has a USB TO DEVICE port, which your model does not have-- the SFF2 files will not even be listed when you're scrolling through the list of available styles.

A gentleman by the name of Jørgen Sørensen has written a number of free utility programs for Yamaha keyboard users:

One of his utilities is a program called "Style Format 2 Converter" that can quickly and easily convert all SFF2 files found in a selected folder into SFF1 files so they can be used on models that cannot play SFF2 files:

There may also be other changes that you'll need to make after converting the SFF2 files to SFF1 files:

1) You might need to use "Style Old Format Converter" to convert the SFF1 files to an older version of the SFF1 format. This probably won't be necessary, so I'd skip this unless the style still won't work after doing the next two steps.

2) You might need to use "Style ReMixer" to remove unusable style variations. PSR-E models can use only the A and B style variations. The style will still play if it contains the unusable C and D variations, but PSR-E models cannot load style files that are larger than about 50K, and removing all of the unusable variations from a style file will usually decrease it to an acceptable size.

3) You should use "Style Revoicer" to replace any voices selected within the style if (a) they are not available on your model or (b) there are better-sounding voices available. The style parts may still play even if they're trying to use voices that aren't available on your model, although in that case the keyboard will automatically select the "XG capital tone" (equivalent to the same-numbered "GM tone"), which might not sound as good as some other available voice. And in some cases, the style parts which are trying to use voices that aren't available on your model will be completely silent. So it's always best to use a program such as "Style Revoicer" to review the voices that the style is trying to use, and change them as needed to voices that your model can play.

These steps may seem overwhelming, but trust me-- Jørgen's programs are very easy to use, and once you've actually taken the time to use them you shouldn't have any trouble converting SFF2 style files to SFF1 style files and then tweaking them as needed for your model.

Reaction score
The style file is not in SFF2 format. I confirmed this by putting it into Jørgen's program. I received the message that the file is not in SFF2 format. So no conversion was done. I then tried the second software Style Old Format Converter. Tried with all checkmarks on and then leaving the GM voice option. The file size was reduced but still, the converted files do not show up in the keyboard.

I have also attached the style files which I am trying to use (check zip file)

Attachments

• styles.zip
    25.4 KB · Views: 380

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Are these the style files before you did anything to them? I'll check them out to see.

One other thing you could try is to rename the style files so there's only one period after the name and then the "STY" extension-- in other words, remove the extra period and the four-character designation after it. I don't remember those ever keeping a style file from showing up on my PSR-E4xx models, but your PSR-E363 might not be recognizing that the files have a "STY" extension because of them. I believe they are icon IDs which are used by the PSR-S, Tyros, and Gents models to tell the keyboard what image to use when listing the style on the keyboard's screen, but the PSR-E models can't display those icons and don't even have them stored in memory, so the icon IDs have no value or usefulness for the PSR-E models.

Reaction score
yes, these are downloaded styles. Without any conversion.
still do not work even of renaming the file (done conversion n without conversion)

Reaction score
sea gtgruff have you find any solution??? no response from yesterday morning yet.

I am trying to be detailful abt problem as much as possible. still the problem preserves.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I’ve looked at the 60s Rock style, and it is indeed a SFF1 style file.

It contains four variations, so it would probably be best to remove the C and D variations in case they’re causing a problem for the PSR-E363, not because of the file size (which isn’t large enough to be a problem), but because the PSR-E363 can use only the Intro A, Intro B, Main A, Main B, Fill In AB, Fill In BA, Ending A, and Ending B sections.

It might also be a good idea to rename the files so they don’t contain any potentially problematic characters— for instance, you could name the first style to 60sRock.sty or something like that.

Reaction score
I went through style Remixer and style Revoicer. Tried different patterns and done conversion more than 20 times. But still, PSR E353 failed to load any style file. For making sure that there isn't any internal problem with the memory of the instrument. I put the midi file and it appeared in songs section n also renamed the file.

Reaction score
I even have found another styles which r of E443. Its text file clearly entails that the styles r in SS1 format, no mega voice and have used general voice. He has suggested the change of drums, I even done those. But still in my keyboard no style appears of his.

zip file attached.

Attachments

• PSRE453.zip
    44.8 KB · Views: 321

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
About the only other thing that comes to mind is the possibility of some SysEx command that the PSR-E363 doesn't like, or other MIDI event that the PSR-E363 cannot handle.

The thing is, I don't have a PSR-E363, so I have no way to test anything.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I do have a question.

Are you using the "StyleReg" (Style Register) operation in the Function menu to register a particular style file before you try to use it?

The PSR-E363 lets you use up to 10 external styles at a time. You can have more than 10 external files stored in the internal flash memory, but you can register only 10 at a time-- and you cannot use them until you register them.

Reaction score
aha.....styleReg was simply the option which I didn't know. I was expecting that the style will appear in the style of user file numbers. As when I transferring any style it does appear on Yamaha E363 LCD screen but then I never was able to sort it out. SeaGtGruff I figured it out myself before of your post. But still, the credit goes to you as this technique was shared by you on PSRTutorials/Forum.

I wish I would have received this response earlier. But no regrets, in all this time of my curiosity, I unintentionally learned to use almost all Jørgen's programs thanks to you. Once again thank you for your keen support and consistent replies.

Problem Fixed close the post now.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I guess I'd thought that you were having trouble getting the style files to show up when you were trying to register them, because I know that that can happen as well. But then I decided I'd better make sure you weren't overlooking that step altogether! :)

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out, and thank you for letting us know that the issue is resolved. :)

Reaction score
Can somebody help me? I have a Yamaha PSR e363 I uploaded and registered 10 styles, every time I try to play the styles I can't hear their sound through the speaker they only play in silent mode, I have tried everything to bring out the sounds through the speakers but I have failed...I need help ASAP please. Thank you

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, @Donkelo!

Just to be sure I understand...

(1) Did you transfer the styles to the PSR-E363's internal storage using Yamaha's Musicsoft Downloader software or MusicSoft Manager app?

(2) Did you use Function 009, StyleReg, to register each of the style files as Style 166 through Style 175?

If the answers are "Yes" and "Yes," then the style files are presumably SFF1 files and aren't too large to register, but there could still be issues with the voices used by the styles and/or the style variations used.

(3) Do you have a Windows computer?

There is a free program called MixMaster that you can get from the PSR Tutorial website, but it's only available for the Windows operating system:

There are also numerous free utilities that you can get from the JoSoSoft website, and some of them are available for Mac computers (by using a Java runtime) as well as for Windows computers:

These programs will let you look at the voices which are being selected in the style files, and if necessary change them to voices which are available on the PSR-E363.

They will also let you see which style variations are programmed into the style files. The PSR-E models can use only variations A and B. The Style ReMixer utility from JoSoSoft will let you delete or rearrange the style variations as needed to get rid of any C and D variations that are unusable, or move them to the A and B variations.

Reaction score
Thank you very much, let me try your advice I think it will help me, when I press start/stop button, I see the style playing but no sound comes out. I will let you know if it worked out

Reaction score
"Can somebody help me? I have a Yamaha PSR e363 I uploaded and registered 10 styles, every time I try to play the styles I can't hear their sound through the speaker they only play in silent mode, I have tried everything to bring out the sounds through the speakers but I have failed...I need help ASAP please. Thank you "

We had these exact same symptoms on a PSR-E403 over on the PSR-Tutorial Forum several days ago. The style appears to load, and when you start the rhythm, the "beat" arrows, in the display, step off the "beat", giving the impression that the style is "running", but there is no sound. I obtained a copy of the same style file. When I tried to load it into my PSR-E433, I got the same symptoms. It turns out that these are the symptoms you get when you try to load an SFF-2 file into a PSR-E series board. I ran the original file through Jorgen Sorensen's SFF2-to-SFF1 converter and loaded the converted file into my PSR-E433. It ran just fine, but the symptoms were totally different on my PSR-3000. The SFF-2 file would not load at all and just generated an error message. Again, the convereted file ran just fine on the PSR-3000. I think the error trapping on the MOTL PSR and PSR-S lines is probably more sophisticated than on the E series. Jorgen also offers his "Style Format Finder" utility, that you can run, in batch mode, on a folder full of style files, and it will tell you which ones are SFF-1 and which ones are SFF-2:

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sff/index.htm

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Ted nicoson I will try converting the style files into an sff1 then reload and play

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The weird thing about that is, I swear that SFF2 files used to not even be listed on the PSR-E models when you selected the function to register a style, unless whether or not specific SFF2 files will be listed depends on other factors besides just the style file format.

Reaction score
I have tried style format 2 converter it keeps saying the files are not sff2 files and can't be converted but when I put these files in style format finder, it shows that the files are sff2 files, so am really confused

Ask a Question