Help with Cheap Trick

Reaction score
Hi, yes I'm new, one day I will be a regular :)

I'm trying an trying to figure out the keyboard part to cheap tricks surrender. Seems easy but I just can't get the notes. Would someone please enlighten me so that I can play it with my band?

:)

Reaction score
Hi, yes I'm new, one day I will be a regular :)

I'm trying an trying to figure out the keyboard part to cheap tricks surrender. Seems easy but I just can't get the notes. Would someone please enlighten me so that I can play it with my band?

:)

Hello halen99, maybe I can help.

Surrender starts with the intro in the key of Bb.

In a rolling octave figure, play the notes F (low) - Bb (middle ) - to F (high) repeatedly above middle C.

The first verse will modulate up an half step to the key of B.

Your notes will then be F# -B -F# played the same way as I described.

This pattern will continue for another verse until the song modulates another half step for the final verse, which will be in the key of C.

Your notes will then be G- C- G played the same way as the others.

When you come to the bridge of the last verse, or B Verse if you will ("When I woke up , Mom and Dad were rolling in the couch") the rocking piano triad chords are F - G - C .

You then return to the figure you played in C until the ending of your band's choice.

Good luck!
Magic Cristian
Cheap Trick

Reaction score
Hello halen99, maybe I can help.

Surrender starts with the intro in the key of Bb.

In a rolling octave figure, play the notes F (low) - Bb (middle ) - to F (high) repeatedly above middle C.

The first verse will modulate up an half step to the key of B.

Your notes will then be F# -B -F# played the same way as I described.

This pattern will continue for another verse until the song modulates another half step for the final verse, which will be in the key of C.

Your notes will then be G- C- G played the same way as the others.

When you come to the bridge of the last verse, or B Verse if you will ("When I woke up , Mom and Dad were rolling in the couch") the rocking piano triad chords are F - G - C .

You then return to the figure you played in C until the ending of your band's choice.

Good luck!
Magic Cristian
Cheap Trick

You’re awesome Magic man. What sound do you use? Sounds like a hybrid flute/ strings?

Reaction score
Hi... in 82 when I joined the "One On One" tour, the Surrender and Dream Police sound was a pulsing "sine wave" sound from one of the bands keyboards (can't remember the make) that the guitar tech played off stage before me. In 83 on the "Next Position Please" tour I added a Roland Juno 60 (which I still own) string sound to augment the sound.
In 2019 - 2012 when I joined "The Latest" tour I was performing both sounds (pulsating synth and strings) on two Korg M3s. They haven't had a touring keyboard player since 2013.
Cheers
Magic Cristian

Last edited:

Ask a Question