Help with Footswitch

Reaction score
How do you use a footswitch to change patches quickly? There is no port in my keyboard as it is a beginner keyboard. But, I would really like to know how it works. Thank you for your time.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
On my Kronos, you can assign a foot switch for any of a number of functions. One of those functions is to switch to the next sound. Then you move all the sounds in the set list so that they're in order within each song. Remember that there's no "last sound" button, so if you use sounds A, B, A, B, and C, in that order, then the three sounds will take up five spaces.

But that's how it works on my Kronos. Other keyboards will work differently. And some won't be able to do it at all. If your keyboard doesn't have a place to plug in a foot switch, then you can't do it with your keyboard.

(You MAY be able to buy a MIDI foot controller and program it to do what you want. But that's a more expensive solution.)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
On (some of?) the Yamaha Tyros and PSR-S models, the keyboard lets you select a particular Registration by sending specific Bank Select and Program Change values. They also have a jack for plugging in a foot controller that can send MIDI messages to the keyboard. I don't have one of those models, so I can't give you specifics, but that's the general idea as I understand it.

Note that there are different types of foot controllers. Even if a keyboard has a jack for connecting a foot controller, that doesn't necessarily mean it can use the type of foot controller which can send MIDI messages; and even if it can use that type of foot controller, it might not be designed to let you select different sounds using the foot controller.

Ask a Question