Help with Garage Band

Reaction score
I've had problems with getting Garage Band on my MacBook Pro to work with my Yamaha keyboard and I have once again. I had to get a new MacBook Pro -- version 10.14.4 with OS Mohave. I can bring up Garage Band, but when I play something on my Yamaha keyboard, no notes are recorded. I want to use Garage Band to practice my piano techniques but without being able to see the notes I'm playing, Garage Band is useless to me.

This happened with my last MacBook and if I remember, I had to download some interface. ButI have completely forgotten if that's so and what interface it might have been. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Carol Y

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Check these search results from the Yamaha USA web site:

You didn’t say what model your Yamaha keyboard is, so I don’t know whether you need the Steinberg driver (for models that have USB audio) or the Yamaha driver (for models that do not have USB audio).

EDIT — I checked your previous posts, and I guess you still have the DGX-640? If so, you need the Yamaha driver, not the Steinberg driver.

Reaction score
Check these search results from the Yamaha USA web site:

You didn’t say what model your Yamaha keyboard is, so I don’t know whether you need the Steinberg driver (for models that have USB audio) or the Yamaha driver (for models that do not have USB audio).

EDIT — I checked your previous posts, and I guess you still have the DGX-640? If so, you need the Yamaha driver, not the Steinberg driver.

Thank you. I only vaguely remembered having to download something to get Garage Band to work. It worked fine on my piano teachers keyboard, but failed when I got home and plugged my Mac into my Yamaha (yes, still have the same one), This points me in the right direction, I hope. Appreciate the help.

Ask a Question