Help with Live Keyboard Rig Setup

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Just need some assistance regarding setting up a live keyboard rig as I am a complete rookie in this field. Essentially, I am trying to turn my stage keyboard into a MIDI controller. I can get the sound coming out of my macbook when i hit the notes, however i'm not able to get the sound coming out of the actual speakers (that are connected to a soundboard). Here is a list of the equipment i have

- Macbook Air
- Mainstage3

- Roland RD-700GX Keyboard
- PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 USB Recording System
- Hosa CSS-203 Dual 1/4" TRS to same (3M) Balanced
- Allen & Heath ZED420 (soundboard)
- Eon Speakers (Not sure which model, but high quality)

So essentially what i do is, I have my RD-700GX Keyboard connected to the soundboard through an instrument lead (in the L/Mono channel output, which goes into the 'line-in' input/output on the soundboard), then i connect the keyboard to the macbook (through the USB-MIDI input to USB port on macbook with a printer cable). Then i have the PreSonus AudioBox connected to the macbook through USB cable, and then I use the Hosa CSS-203 Dual 1/4" TRS to same (3M) Balanced Cables to connect the AudioBox into the soundboard (By placing the cables into the Main Out (L) and (R) outputs on the AudioBox and the other end into the LINE IN and DIR OUT slots on the soundboard).

These are the exact steps i take, however I'm not 100% confident that I'm doing everything correctly. If you guys could please advise me on what to do, to get my sounds from my Mainstage3, to come out of the speakers and not just from the Macbook. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6450.JPG
    IMG_6450.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_6452.JPG
    IMG_6452.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_6724.JPG
    IMG_6724.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 640

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not a mac guy or a stage performer, but it looks to me that your hookup is OK.

I think your problem getting sound out of the mac is a configuration one.

You have to configure the computer to route MIDI from the keyboard into the software VSTi and then you have to route the audio output of the software to the soundcard interface.

Sorry I can't be more specific but like I said, I'm not an Apple guy.

Maybe phone in for help from the Apple Genius guys?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi to all,

Just need some assistance regarding setting up a live keyboard rig as I am a complete rookie in this field. Essentially, I am trying to turn my stage keyboard into a MIDI controller. I can get the sound coming out of my macbook when i hit the notes, however i'm not able to get the sound coming out of the actual speakers (that are connected to a soundboard). Here is a list of the equipment i have

- Macbook Air
- Mainstage3

- Roland RD-700GX Keyboard
- PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2 USB Recording System
- Hosa CSS-203 Dual 1/4" TRS to same (3M) Balanced
- Allen & Heath ZED420 (soundboard)
- Eon Speakers (Not sure which model, but high quality)

So essentially what i do is, I have my RD-700GX Keyboard connected to the soundboard through an instrument lead (in the L/Mono channel output, which goes into the 'line-in' input/output on the soundboard), then i connect the keyboard to the macbook (through the USB-MIDI input to USB port on macbook with a printer cable). Then i have the PreSonus AudioBox connected to the macbook through USB cable, and then I use the Hosa CSS-203 Dual 1/4" TRS to same (3M) Balanced Cables to connect the AudioBox into the soundboard (By placing the cables into the Main Out (L) and (R) outputs on the AudioBox and the other end into the LINE IN and DIR OUT slots on the soundboard).

These are the exact steps i take, however I'm not 100% confident that I'm doing everything correctly. If you guys could please advise me on what to do, to get my sounds from my Mainstage3, to come out of the speakers and not just from the Macbook. Thanks in advance.

I have been starting to use MainStage as well. Go into Preferences and make sure your Audio INPUT and OUTPUT are selected to the AudioBox and not Internal Speakers and Line IN. And you should have a control on your AudioBox for the Main Outputs volume. Make sure that is up as well.

In your case just the Audio OUTPUT should be all you need to get sound to your mixer. Everything else looks to be routed properly.

Reaction score
OK, just re read you post. 2 things to clear up.

Since you said you want to use the Roland as a controller you only want to connect it via MIDI OUT to the AudioBox MIDI IN. It appears that your keyboard can also use USB for MIDI. Plug that into the MacBook directly if you'd like.

The output of the AudioBox (Main L/R) should go to a stereo channel on your mixer or into two separate channels panned L/R individuals if you want stereo sound. The proper input would be Line Level. The Direct Out is an output of the channel and not an input.

Ask a Question