help with playing along with midi file

ash

Reaction score
Hi i'm Ash, im 40 from North wales. I'm learning to play my Yamaha E453 keyboard by playing to midi files but i feel as though im not playing, the midi file is doing it all. I have limited movement, i can only use my left arm (not fully). I'm a big Queen fan so i want to learn Queen songs on midi files. What should i play along with the file. I play the melody but once the melody stops and the guitar solo plays what do i do? I'm no good at improvising.

Reaction score
There are a few things you could do:-

1 - play the appropriate chords with your left.

2 - learn the Bass that John Deacon plays and then play along

3 - arpeggiate chords

4 - improv

5 - switch to a guitar voice and play complementry notes

Sure the other folks will give you their five penneth.

ash

Reaction score
So i could play along with what the midi file is playing like lead guitar or bass?

Reaction score
Yes, you can play what you want.

I would suggest start with Bass, John Deacon was a great Bass player, pity he retired.

Just start by arpeggiating the chords by playing the 1, 3, 5 and 7th but not necessarily in that order and repeat notes.

ash

Reaction score
I want to download a few heavyish Queen midi files but they won't sound like the actual song as in have the heavy guitar, will it still sound ok as a midi file?

Reaction score
What you describe can be quite normal.

It depends upon what specific instrument voice sound is picked up on your keyboard for the individual track.

I have done this with my PA700 and had to edit the instrument voice sound to the one I want.

Check with your manual to see if you can edit.

Just try to load it and see what happens.

Reaction score
Try recording your efforts on your phone or what ever you have to hear what it sounds like when you play it back. Sometimes it helps you improve your technique. Also, try to play, the instrument that you choose on the keyboard, the way it would normally sound. Like a guitar - don't use too many fingers at the one time etc. try more appregiated styles if you understand what I mean.

Ask a Question