Help with the MOX6 please

Reaction score
I just bought the Yamaha moX6 and I'm finding few sounds I actually like and can utilize. I got a good deal on this keyboard, but unless I can download more sonnds for it, it's going to have to go back. I need lots of sounds, some trance, some strings, but what it provides is very limited on board. I think since I got it yesterday, I've only used maybe three different programmed sounds.

As a side note, I noticed the moX6 doesn't have the 128 polyphony the moXF6 does have, and I'm a little worried my keyboard having the lesser will not sound anywhere near as good. When I originally ordered it, I thought it was the moXF6 until I got the receipt and noticed it didn't have the "F"...so I decided to try it out and see. The piano sounds are a little lame, but I don't use that much anyway. I use more electronic music and strings. I also still have not found where the drum kits are on this keyboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I thought you were buying the MOXF6. If you bought it thinking that that's what it was, but then discovered that it's actually the MOX6, you should contact the store you bought it from to see what happened. Just because the receipt says it's the MOX6 doesn't mean that that's what you ordered-- they may have pulled and shipped the wrong model. And even if you unknowingly ordered the wrong model by mistake, you might still be able to send it back and order the MOXF6 in its place-- which might involve spending additional money if the MOXF6 costs more, not to mention if the store hits you up for return packaging and a restocking fee. If you think you can still be happy with the MOX6, then keep it if you wish-- but if it isn't what you'd wanted (whether or not it's what you actually ordered), you should take action before any return time period expires.

Reaction score
Well, the first one I ordered was a MOXF6 but they said they didn't have anymore. So I settled for the MOX6 for about two hundred less. I figured they would have the same sounds and that's really all I needed. The problem I'm running into is I can't find enough sounds on the thing to make it worthwhile, however, I'm assuming there are ways to purchase other sounds. Now, I was referred to a list of only 9 packages that had sounds here and there, but I sure hope there's more than that, as this seems rather a slim selection of them. I'm looking for trance, electronic and other similar sound packages, and I'm finding it very hard to find them. Now I will say that I'm new to the keyboard and I just recently picked it up after realizing, as a guitarist in a band, that I wanted to add more character to the band. On board, there are some cool arpeggios, but like I said very few I could use. Is Motifator the only site to buy sounds from?...I sure hope not.

Reaction score
Also, isn't there suppose to be like 1200+ sounds on the keyboard? I turn it on and scroll through for about twenty minutes to maybe 30 sounds and it doesn't go any further. How do I access all these sounds?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm downloading the documents now (there are a lot of them!) to add to my manuals collection. I'd posted a link in an earlier thread, but that was for the MOXF6. For the MOX6 it's http://download.yamaha.com/search/p...ry_id2=16381&category_id3=&product_id=1464170. Start with the Owner's Manual, Reference Manual, and Data List for the keyboard to get a handle on the basics before tackling the editors.

The MOX6 does have over 1200 preset Voices, but you might not be able to scroll through them consecutively as you often can on a keyboard with fewer Voices. Instead, you select a Voice Bank or Category first, then you can see the Voices in the Voice Bank or Category. The process of selecting a preset Voice is described on pages 24 and 25 of the Owner's Manual.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, someone just told me you can't load new voices onto the MOX6...which means I'll be returning it. Do you know if the moXF6 can?

Reaction score
Update: Sending back the moX6 and getting the moXF6. I don't think there are return charges, but I should have my other one by next week sometime. Very excited about the moXF version.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Unfortunately, someone just told me you can't load new voices onto the MOX6...which means I'll be returning it. Do you know if the moXF6 can?

Yes, you can load more Waveforms to the MOXF6-- although I'm not sure whether you need to get the Flash Memory Expansion Board to do that.

Ask a Question