Help! Yamaha PSR-OR700

Reaction score
Hello everybody
Please i need help! about my yamaha Keyboard i tried to figure out how to download a song from youtube as mp3 and save it on usb then play it on keyboard but it doesn't work. please if you are very familiar with yamaha just help me ASAP. my question i wanna download a song and play it on my keyboard using USB ???

Thank you

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't see anything in the manual that suggests the PSR-OR700 can play back either MP3 or WAV audio files.

If you want to play an audio file through the keyboard's speakers, you'll need to use an "auxiliary" audio cable (that is, a 1/8" TRS cable) to connect another device to the keyboard, then play back the audio file on the other device-- an iPod, a phone, a tablet, a laptop, a computer, etc.

Reaction score
Thank for your quick response
I think you misunderstand my question which's what i'm trying to do is to play keyboard including the song like karaoke or try to use any file extension i tried to convert mp3 song to midi file and saved it on usb using Mac Catalina then i ejected the usb and put it in my keyboard and try to open it and play it but it didn't work. any suggestion Pls?
i don't know to to explain what i'm doing ...

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Well, you can't convert an MP3 file to a MIDI file. I mean, I know you can find programs and apps out there which claim to be able to do this, but trust me, they are very limited in their ability to successfully convert an MP3 file to a MIDI file.

And I think I do understand what you're wanting to do-- play along with an MP3 song file-- but the PSR-OR700 does not have that capability. If you can find a MIDI file of the song you want to play along with, then that should work. But if you can't find a MIDI file of the song, but you do have an MP3 file of it, then the best option would probably be to connect your phone to your PSR-OR700 and play the MP3 file on your phone so the sound comes out of the PSR-OR700's speakers, then play along with the song while it's playing on your phone:

- Get an "auxiliary" audio cable that has a 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS plug on one end and whatever size TRS plug fits the earbuds or headphones jack of your phone on the other end (possibly 2.5mm, but check the user's guide for your phone).

- Plug one end of the auxiliary cable into the phone's jack for earbuds or headphones, and plug the other end of the auxiliary cable into the L/L+R aux in jack of the PSR-OR700.

That will let you use the keyboard's speakers for listening to the phone. Just make sure you silence the ringer! Or you can use a tablet, iPod, or other similar device that can play back audio files and that doesn't have any phone capabilities (so you don't need to worry about the phone ringing through the keyboard's speakers if you happen to get an incoming call in the middle of your performance).

Reaction score
Ok thank you so much
A question ?
How come there’s midi music songs and music finder music songs inside my Yamaha keyboard while I can’t transfer midi or music to my my keyboard ?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You can transfer and play MIDI files just fine.

It's MP3 files that you can't play.

Reaction score
You can transfer and play MIDI files just fine.

It's MP3 files that you can't play.
Ok thank you so much
I’m going to rephrase my question which’s if I download a midi song so can I transfer it to my keyboard via my laptop or usb? Coz I tried one midi song via usb to my Yamaha keyboard it didn’t work or I’m missing something?

Reaction score
By USB what exactly do you mean?

Ie
Are you trying to play the midi file via a USB cable connected from keyboard to computer or are you referring to a USB memory stick?

Also, what is the file extension ie .MID or SMF?

Reaction score
By USB what exactly do you mean?

Ie
Are you trying to play the midi file via a USB cable connected from keyboard to computer or are you referring to a USB memory stick?

Also, what is the file extension ie .MID or SMF?
via USB flash drive ( Memory Stick ) File Ext .MIDI

Reaction score
Your Yamaha saves the MIDI files created within it with he extension SMF.

If your files you are trying to play have the extension MID then it is not surprising that it fails to play them.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Actually, the extension should be ".MID"-- not ".MIDI" with an "I" on the end, and not ".SMF" which I've never seen used as a file extension (which doesn't necessarily mean that no one ever uses it as a file extension).

Although "SMF" is often used before "file" the way other extensions are used in speech-- such as "GIF file," "BMP file," "WAV file," or "MP3 file"-- it's simply an abbreviation that means "Standard MIDI File." Thus, "SMF file" is sort of a redundant mis-speak. Rather than saying something like "Save the song as an SMF file," which literally means "Save the song as a Standard MIDI File file," it would be more proper to say "Save the song in the SMF format," or simply "Save the song as an SMF." But I suppose people say "SMF file" because it conforms to the way we use file extensions in speech (even though "SMF" isn't a file extension).

I'll reply again later after dinner, and after I've reviewed the manuals for the PSR-OR700 to see what they say about using MIDI song files.

Reaction score
Actually, the extension should be ".MID"-- not ".MIDI" with an "I" on the end, and not ".SMF" which I've never seen used as a file extension (which doesn't necessarily mean that no one ever uses it as a file extension).

Although "SMF" is often used before "file" the way other extensions are used in speech-- such as "GIF file," "BMP file," "WAV file," or "MP3 file"-- it's simply an abbreviation that means "Standard MIDI File." Thus, "SMF file" is sort of a redundant mis-speak. Rather than saying something like "Save the song as an SMF file," which literally means "Save the song as a Standard MIDI File file," it would be more proper to say "Save the song in the SMF format," or simply "Save the song as an SMF." But I suppose people say "SMF file" because it conforms to the way we use file extensions in speech (even though "SMF" isn't a file extension).

I'll reply again later after dinner, and after I've reviewed the manuals for the PSR-OR700 to see what they say about using MIDI song files.
I really appreciate your information and help. I will wait for you, enjoy your dinner

Reaction score
Your Yamaha saves the MIDI files created within it with he extension SMF.

If your files you are trying to play have the extension MID then it is not surprising that it fails to play them.
Ok thank you so much but I still need help plz

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't have a PSR-OR, PSR-S, or model with similar advanced features, so I'm not familiar with what happens after you follow the steps in the manual. But you use the steps given on page 37 of the Owner's Manual to select a song that's on an attached USB flash drive.

I do know that the way it works on PSR-E models is confusing to a lot of people, because there's no "loading" step that you need to do; you just select the desired song file and then press PLAY or START. It might work the same on PSR-S and PSR-OR models; select the desired song file as described in the manual, then just press the appropriate button to start playing the song.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to edit the song file, I think you do need to "load" it into the Song Creator by following the steps on page 158.

Ask a Question