Hey all

Reaction score
Hey, new to these forums and I'm pretty happy at finally finding a fairly active forum that deals with keyboards and keyboard help.

I play in a few bands at school, and am starting up a jazz quartet with some friend over the holidays, and am looking to buy a new keyboard.

Now, I've been playing for a while, but I only really got into piano/keyboard at the start of last year. After talking to a few people, the main two keyboards I have my eyes on are the Roland FP 4, which I have actually played, and the Nord NS88 Stage 88 (if my memory serves me correctly for the latter).

Of the two, I've only played the Roland FP 4, which I enjoyed the sound, and it had the basic features I needed, but the latter was highly recommended to me.

The main issue I have with the Roland FP 4, is that it seems a bit heavy to lug around to gigs, and it seems a bit hard to transport around, while the Nord seems to be a bit out of price range, while looking to have (not sure about this) complex features.

So, I'm asking for some advice regarding a fairly decent keyboard, more in the style of the FP 4, or any general suggestions in keyboards.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. Sorry if this was a bit long for a first post, but I'm going away for a week, and would like to get the keyboard before Christmas. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Reaction score
hi and welcome...

I believe most people around here know that already, but since you're new i'm going to say it one more time... I'm a huge Yamaha fan when it comes to keyboards and piano sound quality. If you're looking for a great piano sound, good weighted keys then try something like this

Reaction score
Hi

I just bought a yamaha cp33 about month and a half ago and I am more than happy with it. Yamaha is definitely the way to go if you are in a mid price range, Unless you have like 5,000 bux, then go for a Kurzweil :)

I think you will agree that we definitely need a jazz section on this forum! I just started playing jazz again, and I realized we don't have a jazz section on here.

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

hi and welcome...

I believe most people around here know that already, but since you're new i'm going to say it one more time... I'm a huge Yamaha fan when it comes to keyboards and piano sound quality. If you're looking for a great piano sound, good weighted keys then try something like this

Did you have any specific keyboard on the list? 'Cause there's a lot of keyboards and digital pianos on there.

The cp33 has got my attention, from what I read about it, it seems to be quite light, and the price is roughly what I'm looking at. Have you (or anyone) played it in both a large area (such as a hall, or gymnasium) for gigs, and in small practice like areas? How does it sound?

And finally, what are the voice options on it? 'Cause I would like a decent amount of electric/other sounds on it, but the latter isn't as big an issue as a good selection of sounds.

Thanks.

P.S. Has anyone played/got the FP 4? Cause I really enjoy the sound and feel of that, but I'm not sure how good it would be in a live performance (only played it a couple of times at my piano teacher's house).

Ask a Question