Hey!

Reaction score
Hello! I've been playing for about a year and a half now. I took traditional lessons when I was about 8 but quickly gave it up. A little over a year ago I decided to pick it back up. I found a few resources online and tried them out, but I eventually just used one site (and a YouTube video here and there) to learn from. I'm almost 19 now and I've been having a lot of fun learning over the past year or so.
I play using chords, improvisation, theory, and using my ear. I don't know how to read sheet music very well, but I do need to learn to at least read simple things. I've never really had a need for it because I only really play more "modern" music (mainly classic rock, to be honest), and I've been able to figure out most of the songs I've wanted to learn just by listening and using the theory that I know.
I still have a ways to go, but I hope I can learn a lot from here!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Welcome wombat @TOH Wombat
Yes you will learn a lot from this group. I have and still learning.
I think at your age it would be most rewarding if you took some time to learn to read sheet music.
I play using chords, improvisation, theory, and using my ear.
Learn to read and play the bass as well. I wished I did. Playing chords with ACMP is amazing and thrilling (to me it is) Hey but at 19 you have the world awaiting. Go the extra step.
Good luck and enjoy. Make your lessons enjoyable too.
Cheers Ray

Reaction score
Welcome wombat @TOH Wombat
Yes you will learn a lot from this group. I have and still learning.
I think at your age it would be most rewarding if you took some time to learn to read sheet music.

Learn to read and play the bass as well. I wished I did. Playing chords with ACMP is amazing and thrilling (to me it is) Hey but at 19 you have the world awaiting. Go the extra step.
Good luck and enjoy. Make your lessons enjoyable too.
Cheers Ray
I'm definitely wanting to start playing bass. Also, what is ACMP? I haven't heard that term before.

Reaction score
Welcome.

You do not say what keyboard you are playing but I take it that it is not a Yamaha Arranger ie PSR range, as ACMP is a feature of them.

Arranger keyboards function with having auto accompaniment (hence ACMP) of the backing sounds which are set by the Style chosen. With this type of keyboard the user plays chords with their left hand and melody lines plus embellishments with their right hand. The auto accompaniment varies accordingly with the chords played and typically there are three intros, four variations and three ending types that can be chose to offer variation in the development of the song ie var 1 is simple increasing to complex in var 2 which is in line with how many songs develop.

If your keyboard is capable of being split then you can assign a bass to the left and start off playing your RH chords and simply playing the chord root and octave LH then progress root 3rd root 5th, then try a walking bass line of say root, 3rd, 5th, then the 4th of the next chord then repeat in the next bar.

Reaction score
Welcome.

You do not say what keyboard you are playing but I take it that it is not a Yamaha Arranger ie PSR range, as ACMP is a feature of them.

Arranger keyboards function with having auto accompaniment (hence ACMP) of the backing sounds which are set by the Style chosen. With this type of keyboard the user plays chords with their left hand and melody lines plus embellishments with their right hand. The auto accompaniment varies accordingly with the chords played and typically there are three intros, four variations and three ending types that can be chose to offer variation in the development of the song ie var 1 is simple increasing to complex in var 2 which is in line with how many songs develop.
Ah, ok. I've already learned something. I use a Roland FP-10, btw.

Ask a Question