Hi Everyone....

Reaction score
Hi everyone... Joined to gain some insight from people in the know before making a purchasing decision.

I am looking for a setup that I can quickly sit down at the keys and record/save ideas when practicing WITHOUT having to use my laptop. I have Cubase LE and can fumble my way through it but I don't wont to have to use it until I have a firm idea that is worth firing it up for.

I would like to have something with 88 keys and a graded hammer action keybed. A good piano sample would be the most important as far as sounds. Realistic drum samples/rhythms are next probably as that is my starting point most of the time.

I have spent countless hours looking for a workstation that has a decent sequencer but unless I am willing to spend $3,000 there doesn't seem to be any. The Korg Krome seems to be the closest with a reasonable price but after watching the sequencer tutorial I think it would actually be more of a pain to use than using Cubase! Looks really clunky as far as navigating and editing in the piano and drum roll which is what I do alot of ie; step recording.

There just doesn't seem to be any options, maybe because DAW software has made workstations less practical... dunno.

Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

What's your budget? What style of music? Is 88 keys a dealbreaker or can you live with unweighted 76 or 61 keys? Would you consider using an iPad instead of a built in sequencer for your brainstorming? Give us an idea we can work with.,

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If 88 weighted really is a dealbreaker my suggestion would be the Casio Privia PX-360 or PX-560. Otherwise I think it meets most of your needs around the $1000 USD range.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If 88 weighted really is a dealbreaker my suggestion would be the Casio Privia PX-360 or PX-560. Otherwise I think it meets most of your needs around the $1000 USD range.

Gary ;)
Did Rich jump ship from Korg to Casio? Hey HR1... That looks like an option... 88 keys with graded hammer action is what I would prefer, so it looks pretty sweet. I'm not a keyboardist really, though I am trying to learn that's why I like to step things in the piano roll.

As far as budget is concerned... I would like to stay around $2,000.

I like a lot of 70's music like Rush, Steely Dan, Yes, Pink Floyd, as well as some 80's bands like Tears for Fears, and Eurythmics... Stuff I grew up listening to. Been playing drums and guitar since around 12 and I'm 48 presently. I just miss being able to grab my guitar, turn on my drum machine and start playing. I know my way around the computer just fine but it just seems to sap all of my inspiration trying to setup/figure things out in the DAW software. Cubase is something that would take me a lot of time to really learn properly. Thats why I am looking for a keyboard that can serve as a good drum machine and sequencer to get ideas down quickly while I still remember them... <---- Old.... :p.

What do you think about a NI Machine MK3 and a nice NI 88 key Controller? That and some cheap studio monitors could get me out at slightly more than the Korg Krome. I like the Idea of being able to create drum tracks with a more more tactile approach and I could use the sounds from the NI Machine as well.

Thanx for a fast reply happyrat1.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have no experience with Native Instruments' stuff so I can't say yea or nay on the controller and the module, however, if you need some drum tracks take a look at the Roland Juno DS88 and the Roland FA-08 workstation.

DS88 would be my first choice but it lacks a full blown sequencer. It does have multiple arpeggiators and a step sequencer with built in sampling and vocoder functions. If all you want is a musical scratchpad to lay out a few beats and accompaniment it may be ideal for you. It comes in priced at $899 to $999 USD typically, saving you a bundle.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186585-REG/roland_juno_ds_88_88_note_synthesizer.html

If you feel like spending more for the on board full sequencer then the FA-08 would be the logical choice. Competitively priced compared to the Krome and IMHO with better sounds.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025051-REG/roland_fa_08_88_note_music_workstation.html

$2000 buys a hell of a lot of gear these days if you know where to look :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, Rich Formidoni did exactly that in 2015-2016. Jumped ship from Korg to Casio. No honor amongst thieves :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Roland does look nice... I started to watch that video awhile ago but I didn't get to the good parts. My attention span is short anymore. The sequencer looks much more user friendly than Korgs. Thanx for your help and advice. I have some options that I can mull over now.

Ask a Question