Hi...First Q: Importing Samples

Reaction score
Hi all.

First time here. Like some others I've seen posting we're looking to incorporate keys. We're doing mostly modern rock/alternative and I'm looking for a small (37-key) keyboard that has decent strings/piano sounds and is a reliable performance unit. Since we also are working in a budget, I'm looking at the Korg R3 and Alesis Micron as possible solutions.

Besides great sounds, one thing I'd like the keyboard to do is to import sounds (e.g., from an MP3) and allow me to trigger playback on stage. Is this a common feature of current synths/workstations? Any recommendations based on our use?

Much thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mit

Reaction score
Workstations yes, synths not generally.

Problem is, you won't find a workstation with 37 keys. You only other option is to get something like the Korg Electribe to hook up to an R3 or something. Workstations are beasts for live performance and I would recomment saving the money for one. You can trigger many samples live either by assiging them to individual keys or by MIDI playback. You can even have a pedal and trigger samples (Rush is intense on doing this).

Reaction score
Novation Remote 37SL

Ok..found the following workstation with a 37-key version:

Novation Remote 37SL (37-SL Keyboard USB Controller)

Having only experience with digital pianos (natural feeling, weighted keyboards, gobs of loaded top quality sounds), I'm not sure what to expect from a workstation. Does anyone have experience with this model? Are the semi-weighted keys natural feeling? Are the preloaded sounds rich/natural? Do Novation products stand up to the rigors of live performance?

Any advice is welcome.

Reaction score
That is a midi controller and doesn't have any sounds on it's own. You would either have to have a rackmount synth like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-MOTIF-Es-Rack-Module?sku=701559

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-VsynthXT-Synthesizer?sku=707055

or you would have to have software synths to trigger sounds. And of course, you can have another keyboard and use the novation to trigger the sounds.

Workstations are Keyboards that have sequencers, samplers, programs (with the ability to edit sounds and save them), etc. Like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-Motif-XS8-Music-Production-Workstation?sku=700839

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-FANTOM-G8-Workstation?sku=703112

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-M3-Music-Workstation-Keyboard?sku=701817

These boards will allow you to creat songs in steps (writing the parts individually like Verse, Chorus, etc.) and arrange the steps into a full song. You have the ability to trigger samples and record them while you playing the song back or to trigger samples live by pressing any number of keys you assign those samples too. They usually have some time of Realtime Pattern function in which you create a pattern (like a drum fill) and then record that or trigger it live much like a sample. These boards are capable of handling hundreds of samples at once - meaning, you can load many many samples and then trigger them however you assign them.

Live, you can make changes on the fly (of course you have to get to know your keyboard!!) and have other tracks playing back while you play live keys and samples.

Semi weighted is also known as synth action. These keys are weighted like a grand piano. If you want to feel of a quality piano, you have to look for hammer weighted keys. These are generally found on keyboards with 88 keys - the same number of keys you find on good quality pianos.

If you want to trigger mp3's and samples, you need to have something that stores those samples and mp3's. If it's a computer then a midi controller is fine. I think a step up from the novation would be:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-MicroKORG-SynthesizerVocoder?sku=702244

It's cheaper but you will make up for it in price finding a way to hook it up to your computer as it doesn't have USB:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-USB-Uno-1X1-MIDI-Interface?sku=701379

Neither the Novation nor the Microkorg are workstations. Workstations are do it all type of boards and are well worth the expense as is their reliability on stage.

Reaction score
Okay...taking your advice I'm going to look toward more full featured synths/workstations. Here's what I'm currently leaning toward:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nord-G2-37Key-Modular-Synth?sku=702629&src=3WWRWXO1&ZYXSEM=0

The demos sound great and it's one of the only workstations with a 3-octave footprint. Anyone have experience with this synth they'd like to share? My primary use is for rich strings/piano sounds, some synth sounds, and triggering MP3s from stage between songs.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
That's a super fine unit. With my current setup I would use it and am now thinking about buying it myself.

I wouldn't, however, use it on it's own. That's just me and I'm sure our musical styles are different. My wife and I are the only two members of the band. This means - I HAVE TO HAVE A SEQUENCER - and I don't think I could arrange and compose an entire song on this unit without going live with computer software. Something would have to triggere the sound generator of the Nord and tell it what to play when!!

It's a nice unit though. If you do plan on using it live, whether you are using a mac or PC, make sure that computer is dedicated only to your music - no internet, no office programs, nothing - just music software and drivers and only what is needed.

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the advice. Can you describe how it's possible to load an MP3 (or WAV or whatever audio file) into a workstation like the G2, then trigger it from the keyboard? I've read the 100+ page manual and see no function that implies this is possible. Is this something these synths typically allow? If not, how would I do something like this from stage? I'm hoping to find one synth that has good sounds AND that I can load some MP3s into to trigger on stage between songs.

Reaction score
Firstly, the G2 isn't a dedicated workstation like the Yamaha Motif, Roland Fantom or the Korg M3, Triton Extreme, etc. So, there isn't any real onboard memory and you will have to rely on using your computer in conjuction with that board live. Looking at the specs, the G2 doesn't have a sampler built in and is a synth more than a workstation. Again, now that I own two workstations, I can see myself owning the G2 as an add on to my setup.

As far as describing how to setup samples to be triggered, each keyboard is different and I can go in depth on Korg. With other boards, some of the other forumer will have to impart their knowledge on this. Loading samples for the G2 will require you loading them into your computer and then having the software (something like cubase) that provides a dedicated sequencer. For the price you are paying for you G2, you might want to look at:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-M3M-Tabletop-Music-WorkstationSampler?sku=701818

and then add:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-61Key-USBMidi-Controller-with-Sounds-?sku=700677

or, if you buy this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-M3-Music-Workstation-Keyboard?sku=701817

everything you want to accomplish can be done with minimal fuss. Instead of MP3's you would use .wav files. This last link will also give you a lot more than you asked for and you can expand as needed - probably without having to buy any more gear for quite a while.

Let me explain what one of my two workstations do for us live:

1. Plays back all the drums and rhythms that I programmed
2. Triggers samples in perfect time as part of the recording
3. Sends MIDI messages to my BassPOD and switches the sound on time while we are playing live.
4. Sends MIDI messages to my DMX light mixer and controlls the lights on stages in time with the music (strobes, fades, flashes, etc).
5. Sends MIDI messages to my Kurzweil Mangler that I use for voice effects and changes them on time with the music.
6. Still have tracks open for playing leads on the keyboard (my wife actually plays them live).

...and I'm only scratching the surface. We like to grab people in the audience and have them say a curse word in the microphone, record it directly to the keyboard and, while the next song is playing, my wife is slicing and piecing that sample back together for use in the next song (with effects and everything) which she will assign to any number of keys for playback!!

If you have a drummer, have him get a MIDI modules and a few electronic drums and have him trigger even more samples just by hitting one of those drums (Rush does this) or even trigger some cool sequenced sounds live!!!

Anyway, it's not just Korg but any REAL workstation can do this. I look at it this way - Any musical instrument you buy should be an investment for the you and the band. I'm not saying you have to buy the biggest and the baddest keyboard (as some of them top $10,000) but, buy something that will offer you quality and get you the results you NEED. Don't ever skimp and kick yourself later when you are shelling out more bucks to make the first item more workable.

I hope this helps. I think 37 keys and other smaller gadgets are great but they are more additions when you are talking live setups (unless you are a DJ).

Reaction score
I'm kind of feeling bad about that last post.

Bottom Line: I'm not trying to make you feel bad and I'm not "naysaying" your intentions. I'm just trying to impart what I know and hoping you investigate really closely your options before you buy. The worst thing in the world is purchasing something and finding out you have to purchase more and more and more in order to get the results you want.

I may have come down as sort of elitist and that would never be my intention. Nothing pleases me more than someone coming on to the forums and saying, "that worked!" and then later offering advice and technical assistance to others. I only wish you well in your endeavors and hope you get the best results whatever route you go.

...as always, if you have questions, ask away. Sometimes the advice is not what we want to hear but may be more helpful than if you didn't ask.

Reaction score
No worries. I appreciate the time you took to share your experience. Others more in the know on electronic music can call you an elitist if they like....I'm a singer and part time keyboardist....I know how to get sounds on my Yamaha S08 and play...but the workstation/midi/triggering/sampling world is new to me, so the advice is valuable. I'm sure to have more questions. :)

Ask a Question