Hi from Oriane Lima

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hi there, my name is Oriane Lima, male, I'm 70 years old and I am a retired surgeon and live at Rio de Janeiro. I usually use my acoustic piano to learn and play. However, I got a Yamaha PSRE443 keyboard. I felt a great difference as for the finger touch. Now I am accustomed to it. A very nice machine to play music. I read music from a young age, and this makes things easier for me, but I am an amateur musician. I'm trying to improve my technique. But what I really like to do is to compose my own songs. Then to interact in an important forum like this one, would be, for me, a way of hearing opinions as to my music, and if I am doing progresses. So criticize my music in what you think I coul'd improve it,Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ola Oriane!

Welcome to the forum.

The best place to showcase your music is at http://soundcloud.com

Is your style more classical or is it more latin jazz style?

Looking forward to hearing your work.

Gary ;)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
happyrat1, thank you for your kind reception. I do not play classical music, I would like to. I greatly appreciate jazz, blues and bossa. I will try to upload one of my songs. Thank you.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hi Becky, thank you for the welcome, very kind of you. It looks like I have no credits to post links. So I will wait a while to put one of my songs on the forum.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hi! Ray and Fred, nice to meet both of you. Thanks for the welcome. I'm just an apprentice, I like to play, but specifically I try to compose my own songs. This is the way I found to have fun and spend my time. I'm looking for places where I can interact with musicians, so I can progress, or at least try to. Thanks again. Will try to post.

Reaction score
I think once you have made 10 posts you should be able to post a link :) (the limit is meant to prevent spammers)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Sea, thank you, I certainly have questions about the E433. Thank you for the welcome.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Well, I certainly don't claim to have all the answers, especially since there are some features on it that I haven't used yet or don't use very much. But I'll certainly try to answer any questions you might have. :)

The Y_man

Reaction score
. But what I really like to do is to compose my own songs.

Hi Oriane,

I find the best thing about composing your own music is that YOU get to define what it should sound like, and you make it sound the way YOU want (not other people). I find composing a lot easier in many ways, because people have no expectations about how it should sound (as opposed to when you cover other people's music). If people say your music sounds crap, you just say "it's supposed to be like that" ;)

Oddly enough, the BIGGEST problem I have by far when writing my own stuff is getting worried if I have used a riff or something from someone else's music - and I end up sitting there listening to a whole heap of stuff to see if I have inadvertently ripped someone off.

The Y-man

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
The Y man, thank you for your comment. I confess, I'm not a good musician. I lack many fundaments, but I like to compose music. Some things sound good to my ears, and causes me to be happy and satisfied with what I am doing. Sometimes I think I'm making progress at other times, not. After all I keep studying hard, reading my favorite books from Mark Levine. It is not easy to participate in a forum made by and for professionals. I echo your words: "my music is supposed to like that".
Thank you again.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Oriane >>> You're harbouring a misconception about this forum.

Sure there are plenty of professionals who hang out here, but this forum is really for ANYONE regardless of skill level and training who is interested in producing music with a keyboard instrument.

There are plenty of amateurs here. And even I am self taught and a rank amateur at keyboards compared to some of the pros around here.

The truth is, with enough time and practice and study we can all stand to improve our skills and produce music that pleases everyone, and not just ourselves.

Don't sell yourself short. Age is no barrier. If anything as a medical professional you must be aware of the modern studies which have shown that learning music theory and practice has a rejuvenating effect on the elderly and keeps the dementia and other problems of ageing at bay.

Myself I couldn't really afford to start messing with keyboards until my early 40's but after twenty years of trial and error and hit and miss I find myself producing some half decent tunes even if I do say so myself.

I started hanging out in Keyboard forums about a decade ago and when I posted my early tunes I learned from others about the structure and scales that they were missing.

Please take all criticism with a grain of salt as well. We are all here to encourage and educate one another and learn as we go along.

Gary ;)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
A small course correction. I was just thanking the didactic and generous words of Mr. Y man.;) From what I could understand, he encouraged me to not be afraid to post my music "as they are" whether they are good or not. I spent my life teaching my students and I know how it all develops with effective teaching. There are two aspects in a critical opinion: the most important is the constructive opinion, for it entails the development of rational thinking and exchange. I'm certainly grateful to you also Gary and I'm sure that I will learn a lot here in this great forum.:)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Oriane >>> You're harbouring a misconception about this forum.

Sure there are plenty of professionals who hang out here, but this forum is really for ANYONE regardless of skill level and training who is interested in producing music with a keyboard instrument.

There are plenty of amateurs here.

Yeah, if being a professional keyboardist-- or even a skillful amateur keyboardist-- is a requirement for this place, then I'd better tuck tail and slink out of here, because I'm just a skill-less amateur wannabe. :p

Ask a Question