Hi im NEW here and need help deciding on a keyboard

Reaction score
Hi guys my name is reggie im new here and just need opinions on picking out a new keyboard, i currently own a motif es7(love it) and a roland jv 1080(sound module from the 90s) i love both units and they mix well during church services,i get lots of compliments and people always wondering what boards im using. To shorten this up soon i will graduated barber school and my wife agreed i could get another keyboard my budget is about around the prices most workstations cost about 3600$ i play gospel music which is similar to jazz somewhat , mainly i layer my pianos/e pianos with strings/synth/brass and i use organ patch alot, i also split piano with bass /synth/brass,strings if i dont have a bass player.
I have a home studio so i really wouldnt see myself using the sequencer so i have lowered my choices to the
1.motif xf8
2.korg kronos 8
3.yamaha moxf8(cheaper build less features same sounds as motif x8)
those 3 would be my workstation choices but like i said i wouldnt use the sequencer at all

1.yamaha so90xs( motif xs without studio features and has more pianos)
2.roland jupiter 80( awesome synth but has nice pianos from roland new supernatural engine)
3.roland rd 800(comparable to the yamaha s90xs has top roland sounds from new engine minus studio features)
these are more my choices without the sequencers

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They're all top notch boards but the only others I might add to the list are the Kurzweil PC3K8 (I own one) or the new Forte (Supposedly has an amazing new German Grand Piano Sample) or the new Yamaha Montage or the Roland FA-08.

Or simply consider investing in a good 88 Key Studiologic Controller and buying a top notch module like the Roland Integra 7 or the Muse Receptor. That's a setup that's both economical and obsolescence proof.

I'd also suggest doing a bit of travelling to your nearest music shops and auditioning every model on your list that's locally available.

Some of the models you listed are also a bit dated and can be found selling used on your local craigslist.

If you're willing to consider a gently used unit you might save yourself a bundle and you'd be able to try them out before you pulled the trigger.

These are all the current high end workstations that I can suggest, but ultimately you'll have to let your ears and your budget and your conscience be your guide.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question