Hi Music Lovers

Reaction score
XGlite Voices on Yamaha PSR S500

Hi friends :),
I am Venkatesh from India. It's very nice meeting you all at this forum. Recently I bought a workstation - Yamaha PSR S500. Though it has been replaced by PSR S550B , the older version is still available in India.
I love this machine and its sound quality is simply awesome.

Though it is my first thread, I would like to jump into action straight away.;) There are around 300 panel voices in PSR S500 and about 361 XGLite voices. I am able to use the panel voices. But I am unable to find where these XGlite voices exist? In the manual they mentioned the names of the voices but i could neither find the names nor use the voices in the keyboard.

Could any of you have an idea of where can I access these XGlite voices in this keyboard? I appreciate all your help on this.

Have a musical day. Good wishes to all. Yours .. Venky.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Venkatesh!

I have a Yamaha too, and I've never really understood the XGlite voices thingie, however, I do know where/how to find them, and it's not really as interesting as it might sound :p

On my keyboard it's pretty clear, since it's got text written on it where it says which numbers are which sounds. So it looks a little bit like this (I don't list all of them, for obvious reasons):

001-006: Pianos
032-041: Guitars
050-061: Strings
062-065: Choirs
084-089: Brass
117-128: Drum Kits
128-489: XGlite

As you can see, the XGlite sounds are rather many compared to the other ones. However, a lot of them are identical to the other ones. Though the ones that are unique are sometimes really cool, or just plain stupid (like Fret Noise from a guitar). But there is nothing in the name of the sounds that tells you that they are XGlite sounds.

Some of the sounds are pre-layered (or whatever you should call it...), so you could have "one" sound, that in fact are 4 sounds. (This is actually pretty cool, my keyboard usually only supports 2 layers, plus a split. But I've got a preset XGlite sound that uses about 3-5 layers or something.)

So, if you find some sounds that feels a bit different than the other ones (all sound effects are XGlite as well, like Fireworks or Explosions and stuff), they are most likely XGlite sounds, and I think they're usually at the end of the sound list.

Hope it helped you out a little bit :)

Reaction score
Thanks buddy

Hey Sargas,
Thank you so much for all your help and patience.
I really appreciate it.
Let me check and get back to you in case I have any doubts on XGlite voices. Once gain thanks for all your support. .. Yours .. Venky.:)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, since Sargas helped, I don't have much to say XD.

So enjoy your stay and if you have any other questions, please ask in the correct section :)

Glad to have another music lover here haha.

Reaction score
It seems you didn't understand Sargas' answer somehow, or that he was somehow wrong. You might want to try some Yamaha-specific forums, such as those at http://www.motifator.com if no one can help you here. (Yes, I realize those forums are more for Motif-derived keyboards, but since many people like to stick to the same manufacturer, you still might have more success there).

Reaction score
This is much better answer from you . I really appreciate it buddy. Thank you for all your help. :D

Reaction score
Thanks buddy

Hey Sargas,
Thank you so much for all your help and patience.
I really appreciate it.
Let me check and get back to you in case I have any doubts on XGlite voices. Once gain thanks for all your support. .. Yours .. Venky.:)
Hi Venky, When you purchased your keyboard, there should/could have been a document with your package called "Data List". This list shows the voice nukmbers, including all the xglide ones. Having said that, looking on the Yamaha download site, your keyboard is listed as only having the user manual available. Other keyboards, such as the PSR range list various manuals including the Data List, all in PDF format. Have a look there as a similar keyboard to yours may have a list that you can use. The URL is downloads.yamaha.com If not, go to the yamaha site for your country, and click on the support section, then "contact us". Send them an email asking for their help.
Hope this helps.
Miln

Ask a Question