Hi

Reaction score
Hi all. Yep, I'm new. So new in fact that I don't even have my keyboard yet. I'm picking it up on Sunday. No idea what it is, or what it does. It's my sisters that I'm "borrowing" on a permanent basis.

Anyhoo. I decided that I'd like to learn how to play keyboards (I used to play the organ when I was a kidlet), but never learnt how to read music, so am really, really learning from scratch here. :eek:

Any advise you can give to someone who doesn't have a clue about keyboards or music would be gratefully received (except if you say don't bother, cos I'll just ignore that one :D)

So. Nice to meet you all and I hope you all don't lynch me cos I quite obviously ramble and don't have a clue about any of this.

Byeeeeeee.:p

Reaction score
Don't bother.

Also, you can find lots of good sites on reading sheet music online, just google search it. That is just something that needs practice, much like learning to read normally. I'd recommend it because there are tons and tons of music available through sheet music so it opens alot of doors, and if you get to the point where you can sight-read you don't even have to learn the songs to play them :p

Also, get a teacher, even if only for a few lessons, and ask them to teach you technique. You can cover alot in the first few lessons that will go along way in preventing you from learning bad technique(which will take alot longer to unlearn and the relearn proper technique). Don't be afraid to take notes. If you can get regular lessons.

Next, the standard "do lots of scales, arpeggios and exercises"(google these). Don't tense up, ever. Back straight when sitting, arms should be about 90 degrees to the floor when your hands are resting on the keys, use a combination of both shoulder, arm and finger movement to play. If you arn't using pedals, one foot about half footlength further than the other for balance.

You should usually start by warming up, then dividing your practice time the various disciples such as exercises, reading sheet music and learning songs.

That should cover most of the basics of playing, I'll leave you to use your own ingenuity to figure out how to go about doing all this(blame my laziness) :p.

Regarding keyboards, you better hope you get one with velocity sensitive keys. If you don't you won't learn proper dynamics control which will show when you do play on velocity sensitive keyboards.

For now, let us know what keyboard it is, make and model. Also, do you just want to learn to play, or are you after specific things like classical, electronica and so forth?

Welcome!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise. I think my sister mentioned something about the keys being sensitive something or other. I didn't understand a word she was saying, so was like, oh ok. It also has a screen on it that tells you the note your playing, so I think that will be a big help in teaching me how to read music. she's dropping it off tomorrow, so will be able to tell you about it then.

I'm quite excited really. Not really after learning any particular style. Just love music. My blokes learning the cello, so I figured give it a few years and we can earn money. Joke!!:D

Anyhoo, wish me luck. I think I'm gonna need it!!!;)

Reaction score
aah, cello. One day I'll have the time and money for that. Would love to play that. People say it's the most expressive instrument.

Seems like your sister meant it's velocity sensitive, so yeah, it's a good thing.

Either way, I wish you luck! Hopefully you won't need it! :)

Reaction score
Woohooo, I have my keyboard. It's a Casio WK-3000. It's rather large. Was expecting something smaller. Hohum. One can't complain when given a keyboard for free :D

So, spent most of the weekend pressing buttons and going ooooooooh and Woooooow and more commonly "How cool is that!!!!!!!!!!". General comments of that persuasion.

Just need to learn how to use it now :D:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbmusichelp

Latest Threads