Hola a todos!! Hi all !!

Reaction score
Hi guys its my first time i post here :D

im from Venezuela im engineering student, i play keyboard since i was 8 years but i havent taked music lessons anymore until this year that i am being autodidact with the help of Youtube, a solfege book and practicing with Beyer's method book

now i am 26 i hope it is not too late to restart lessons :( i play some songs and know some chorchs but i want to play better, i think i need more practice with left hand hehehe

id like meet new friends on here and have fun :D:)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi guys its my first time i post here :D

im from Venezuela im engineering student,

Welcome to the forum from one engineer to another. What kind of Engineering?
Mine is mechanical and I am located in Australia btw.

now i am 26 i hope it is not too late to restart lessons

At 26, you are still a baby. I didn't start my keyboarding until my 50's . . So it is NEVER too late.
Good luck with it all.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
!Ola! Fernando...

+1 to what Rayblewit said.

Music is fun for all ages. At age 26 you not only have time to learn but also time enough to master the art.

Just google "Late blooming musicians" and you will find dozens of famous people who never so much as picked up an instrument before age 30.

Welcome aboard and don't let age intimidate you. The truth is that we are all our own toughest critics.

And you should have no trouble finding a teacher who specializes in older students. Many teachers actually prefer teaching adults because they are more motivated and have more discipline.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
As I've mentioned to all "older" -- and I'm using that word very loosely in your case you young whippersnapper -- people who want to learn to play, many piano instructors LOVE to have older students. After spending all day with ten year olds, they love having someone they can talk to. So consider taking from a human being.

Reaction score
i am studing electronic engineering, i have 2 year left to finish college
i will try to find a teacher, but really i would like a conservatory, i will see if i can enter and while i learn by myself xD

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'm not sure how music education is organized in Venezuela. Here in the United States, I'm assuming that a conservatory would be equivalent to a college level program specializing in music performance. Both of my daughters started off as music majors in college. The older one changed majors to Political Science and Mathematics and graduated a couple of months ago. The younger one is working on degrees in vocal performance and musical theater. (Vocal performance is classical.)

That's actually simplifying a bit. In addition to colleges which award Bachelor's of Music, there are actual conservatories here, too. The main difference is that a conservatory education doesn't include the breadth of non-music courses that a "traditional" college requires. It's also possible -- but this is more of a guess -- that the theoretical and history requirements aren't as strong at a conservatory as at a "traditional" university. For example, Julliard (where my father studied after his Masters degree) is a conservatory.

Unless you're planning on a career as a professional classical musician, you don't need to have a conservatory or university education. (They're not required even for that field, but it helps.) You'd do just as well by finding a good teacher. And one place to look is a local university or college with a music program. Just because the professor has a day job doesn't mean they won't take extra money for private lessons. Almost every music professor I know had private students above and beyond those they took through their school. My father had lots of students of all ages. Both of my daughters, while in high school, took private lessons from university professors. (They started with local teachers, but eventually their skills improved to the point that they needed a better teacher.) During the summer, my younger daughter is taking voice from a local university professor, piano from a local pianist with a Masters in Piano, and organ from a church organist with a Bachelors in Organ.

If this is equivalent to Venezuela, I'd just look for a local teacher to work with you. See what resources are available to you.

Another possibility to look at is what your university offers. If your university has a music department or a music school, talk to them about lessons. You may be able to take through the university with the cost included in your tuition. If not, they probably have recommendations as to potential teachers.

Ask a Question