Honest Opinions??

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Are you planning to fully orchestrate this or leave it as mainly solo piano?

I mean it's not a bad piece, but the musical phrases are a bit cliche and don't really make me say "oh wow."

Perhaps if you worked a few blues scales into it or maybe even middle eastern scales into the bridges it would wake me up but as it stands it's sort of like plain cottage cheese.

Tasty enough and good for ya, but not as good as when you spice it up with some tangerines and kiwis :D :D :D

Garfy ;)

Reaction score
Nope not at all gary...i am planning on fully orchestrating it it won't be a stand alone piece none of my music is...just wanted some opinions...and thank you for being totally honest i appreciate your friendly advice ;)

Reaction score
Wow. The first thing that struck me is that parts of it are SCARILY like a piece I wrote for a band here. They do original music, I guess you could describe it as "stoner rock". They were trying to add something a bit different to the intro and outro to one of their songs, so they asked me to write a piano solo for it. I used their chord progression - which is really similar to yours, and played some arpeggios and "stuff". Your arpeggios sound quite a bit like some of mine, and so do your sus2 and sus4 chords, down to the timing and accents. I was nervously looking over my shoulder for a hidden camera during some parts!

As for feedback - your playing is rock solid. I detected a few timing issues here and there - sounds like some of it was deliberately rubato, but some of it just seemed like the tempo getting away from you. This happens to me too sometimes when I create backing tracks for myself - I find it helpful to record to a metronome or click track.

I'd agree with Gary that overall the piece probably needs a little more light and shade to make it a really engaging listen from start to finish. Variations in volume, chord voicing, chord density, melody choices, that sort of thing. Of course bringing other instruments in and out would help.

Overall it's really nice. Well done!

Reaction score
Thanx for the feedback Cowboy....glad you haven't found that hidden camera and mic yet... phew!!...it's your next piece i'm after.. infact i want them all!!! your house is like big brother pokemon go! got to have em all!!! J/K :D Anyway whats the chances of that we must have a similar ear for music on raw piano, but kinda disapointed.. nothing worse for me than comming up with something someone else has already done could put me off abit...I'll try keep with it if you don't mind? who knows it could change abit before i get it finished with adding other things into it..at the end of the day that is only the base piece of it and i haven`t even got it to where i want it yet...thanx again for your feedback much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Anyway whats the chances of that we must have a similar ear for music on raw piano, but kinda disapointed.. nothing worse for me than comming up with something someone else has already done could put me off abit...I'll try keep with it if you don't mind?
You shouldn't be disappointed at all, it's 100% your work not mine. There's no way you could have heard my piece. It's not EXACTLY the same, either. Just certain parts of it are eerily close!

And you certainly don't need my permission to stick with it. Play on!

Ask a Question