Hooking up your keyboard to a PC (Recording)

Discussion in 'General Keyboard Discussion' started by Skipp, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Skipp

Skipp

As I promised... here's an easy way of connecting your keyboard with your PC for your recording session. This way you'll record a .wav file which you can edit or convert to mp3.

So, first, you'll obviously need a PC, a keyboard and a cable to connect them together. It's just a plain audio cable you can get in every small audio shop.

http://www.box.net/shared/z65071x1zg

On the back of your PC you will find 3-colored slots (or 6 if you have
    a 7.1 card system). (as above).
    Green - Line out (you probably have your PC speakers plugged in here)
    Blue - Line in (this is where you'll connect your keyboard in a few minutes)
    Pink - Microphone input

Now, take the audio cable and plug it in your keyboard. For example, in your earphones output

http://www.box.net/shared/01cdjzhimt
    The other side of the cable goes to your PC's Line in

http://www.box.net/shared/rxejf806as

All you have to do now is set up your sound card to record from the Line in input.

Go to Control Panel and double-click on Sounds and Audio devices

Click on Advanced in the first window

http://www.box.net/shared/7s5edhl70a

Then click on Options>Properties which will open another window :)

http://www.box.net/shared/rjpuglslah

Select Recording and click on OK. Another (yea yea... i know :)) window will pop up and there you'll setup your input. Put a "tick" next to Line in
    and play with the volume level. (You'll se the peak meter jump up in your
    recording software when you play something. If it's too high - lower the volume).

And that's about it. If you have any questions left - feel free to fire away :D

Skipp, Dec 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Skipp

Skot

Nice... thats the way I used to do it, but there was a ton of latency with my computer so i got an mbox, which is way legit.

Skot, Dec 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Skipp

Skipp

I have no such problems. Both my PC and laptop work fine this way

Skipp, Dec 7, 2007
  4. Skipp

Skot

Yeah, my laptop for some reason is really noisy. My PC is not, but its in a different room than all of my keyboards so I don't really use it for recording. I might be getting a new laptop though because mine just totally crapped out on me.
    Do you know if you can record stereo using that single input jack, or is it just mono?
    Also, what program are you using?

Skot, Dec 7, 2007
  5. Skipp

Skipp

If you mean stereo as both speakers then yes... if you mean "real stereo" then you'd have to twingle with the channels in your recorded channels...

I'm using n-Track studio and Soundforge

Skipp, Dec 7, 2007
  6. Skipp

Murphy575

Hi.

I know it may sound dum, but I have never done this before. What wire do I use to go from the headphone to the Line In port on my sound card? I used a wire that used to connect my speakers, it fit both ends just fine, and I got sound through my computer speakers, and I could record it. Problem was, it was very quite. I turned up the keyboard full, and the speakers up full, and I could hear it just fine, but when it got more complicated than say, pressing three or four keys at once, the sound got really distorted.

Anyone else getting this problem? I tried it on the laptop, but that only got Mic in and headphone out, so not much luck there...

Maybe I'm using the wrong wire?

Murphy575, Jan 1, 2008
  7. Skipp

Skipp

Skipp, Jan 2, 2008
  8. Skipp

RotorOnTop

Murphy, for one thing you can't use speaker wire (cable) to run an audio sound source, unless the cabling is shielded TRS/XLR type speaker wire it will introduce noise, artifact...seems to me that comp plug ins are 1/8" type jacks, so this would mean running 1/4" to 1/8" (shielded cable)?? You are using the wrong wire.

RotorOnTop, Jan 2, 2008
  9. Skipp

Murphy575

I got no idea about TRS/XLR or whatever that is, sorry, I'm a total beginner.

I just noticed the wire that connected my monitor's inbuilt speakers to the sound card, also fit in the headphone port on the keyboard (after using an adaptor thingy)

I got no idea what kind of wire it is, all I know its green at both ends and its the same size as a standard headphone jack on a hi-fi, on in this case, a keyboard.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what wire(s) I need to be using.

Thanks for all the help.

Murphy575, Jan 2, 2008
  10. Skipp

closetpacifist

For going from headphones-out to your basic soundcard, I think the cable you're using should be fine Murphy. Have you tried increasing your input volume like Sysryn suggested? If you've jacked those settings up and your recording is still too quiet, you could try increasing the recorded sound file's volume in your sound recording/editing program. In Audacity, for instance, you could try Effect->Amplify.

Then to get rid of the distortion you just need to turn down each volume setting (on your keyboard, the line in setting, and your speakers) until it's as loud as it will go without adding any distortion.

closetpacifist, Jan 10, 2008
  11. Skipp

trepoto

what softwer?

hello. my question is, what softwer do i need to use for record?
    i have tried the tape recorder. the simple one

trepoto, Jan 29, 2008
  12. Skipp

Ergo

you can use Cubase

Ergo, Feb 7, 2008
  13. Skipp

Ergo

Hey the cable between the PC and the keyboard...are you using an adapter? I meen the "line in" hole are smaller then my "phone" hole

Ergo, Mar 21, 2008
  14. Skipp

Skipp

Actually I have a cable that has a bigger jack on the one side and that small one on the other side, but yes, you can use that jack adapter from bigger to smaller or the other way around.

Skipp, Mar 22, 2008
  15. Skipp

Ergo

OKey cool then I just need to buy a 6,5-3,5 cable ^^ then I will post some here

Ergo, Mar 22, 2008
  16. Skipp

Sargas

I have a cable that goes from my keyboard into a USB port on my computer, is there any good way to record that way? Or should I buy a different cable? :p

I've tried with cubase, but it converts all my sounds into piano, and I don't want that...

Sargas, Jun 18, 2008
  17. Skipp

Skipp

That's a MIDI to host cable. You transfer MIDI signal that way. It's used
    for studio recording in programs like cubase, nuendo etc.

You record your MIDI track and then you select a VST to emulate the sound.
    If you want to record directly what you play use plain audio cables. One side in your "Headphones output" on your keyboard, and the other side in your audio card "input" (mostly blue colored)

Skipp, Jun 19, 2008
  18. Skipp

Sargas

Aha, OK. So either I need to have something that converts the midi into my desired sound, or I need to get another cable.

Then I know, thanks :)

Sargas, Jun 19, 2008
  19. Skipp

Skipp

Like I said... cubase and nuendo have that or you import some VSTs inside and emulate the recorded midi signals with it's sound engine

Skipp, Jun 19, 2008
  20. Skipp

Sargas

Ah, just figured out how to reach the VST in Cubase, thanks :)

Sargas, Jun 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question