Hooking up your keyboard to a PC (Recording)

Reaction score
This was so easy I feel embarrassed. As a total noob who bought a Microstation I was tearing my hair out wondering why the 6.35mm LR outs on the back into the line-in had zero effect.. I still wonder that, but after grabbing a male-male 3.5mm it worked on the first try and I'm already up and recording tracks.

Genius. Thanks!

Reaction score
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to record the sound then plugging the output of the keyboard to the line in of the computer can work. If you want to record MIDI - a series of computer instructions - then a USB MIDI cable might work. Some advantages of MIDI are the ability to change voices or transpose.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. It will help me out in the future. Am I right in thinking that a usb port isn't necessary? Can that only be used for midi? One of the keyboards I am considering has a 5 pin midi connection and no usb port.

Lois, the USB can also be used for backing up settings etc on the keyboard if you have made changes to the "factory" ones, as well as downloading settings and backing that you can download from the internet.

The Y-man

Reaction score
A good basic introduction to the delights of recording. I do this; since I only have headphone output for audio, I also use a cable splitter lead so I can connect both audio output lead and headphones. And then I can send the finished product from the instrument to the line in of the computer. Great fun!

Reaction score
"Oops — this shared file or folder link has been removed."

I need help about saving recorded songs to PC, as a .mp3 file please tell me how ! It saves as .sp7 file when I try to save it using USB cable :(

Reaction score
I think it should be pointed out that if you do this, you're using your computer's sound card, which often is limited/inferior in terms of quality audio sound...in which case you should consider buying an audio interface (respectable basic ones can be had for about $100 give or take). Depends a lot on what level or how serious you are about your recordings (for example doing it just for yourself/family and friends vs trying to do it at more of a professional level, etc), as well as what you're doing...if you want to add mics, other instruments, you'll need an AI.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I want to second (or third) the recommendation of Audacity. One of the things not mentioned anywhere above is the price. Audacity is FREE! Unless you've got one of those packaged versions of Cubase or some other DAW (Digital Audio Workspace) software, you cannot beat Audacity at its price point. In fact, given all of the effects, etc., that are included in Audacity, it may be difficult to beat at a higher price. Multiple tracks for free.

No, it's not a full fledged DAW. You're not going to be able to save and edit MIDI information. But for purely audio files, it works fine. While the full download doesn't include the ability to save mp3 files, there are directions on their site for downloading a free driver which will let you save to mp3, too.

Ask a Question