Horrible Note ?

Reaction score
My Casio PX330 is making a horrible rasping note now and then, it stands out like a sore thumb.
I play in full range mode and its when I am particularly busy with the fingers, it does it across the range of sounds, but is far more noticeable on pianos.
I have the touch set to number 3, does anyone have any idea what it could be ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Modern keyboards are basically computers. Generally a problem affects either everything or nothing. Sounds to me like a program glitch. Have you checked Casio's website to see if there's a firmware update for it?

Also you might want to pose your question to Casio's tech support link and ask them what could be causing it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, it may be the speakers, or the firmware, or as Antonio Salieri once said about Mozart's music, "Too many notes." :D :D :D

Actually that could be a legitimate concern. Are you using the built in accompaniment when this noise occurs? If so, you may be blowing past the polyphony limit of the keyboard. Although the manual states that it has 128 note polyphony. That should be more than enough for 98% of situations.

Still, if there's some crazy ragtime accompaniment going while you play with a layered or split keyboard and bang on the keys like Rachmaninoff it's not inconceivable that you could peak out above the limit.

Reaction score
Try using a headset or connect to external (powered) speakers or your homestereo.If the nasty sounds are still there the problem is NOT the onboard speakers.
Yes polyphony can be the problem, however 128 is a BIG amount, No keyboards I know of have a larger number.
Try not to put your volume-knob higher than about 2 o'clock anyway.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
The sound appears when just playing piano on its own, its very intermittent though and its definitely not the speakers.
When playing it sound like distorted steel guitar and really stands out.
I thought it could be a polyphonic problem, but I don't think it is more like a sound generator ?
Have looked on Casios website but there is no firmware update, I think happyrat1 is probably right in that its is a computer glitch.
Its under guarantee so I will see what casio have to say about it.

Reaction score
Hej, hej Dick,
I can tell you there is a Ketron that has a 197-note polyphony:
Hello Goldi5210
Yes, but like I said no keyboard I know of......:) What do I know.. :( Ketron is FANTASTIC but no service and never have seen one here in Indonesia.
You ok there in Sweden my friend?. Waiting for my PSR S950 to arrive by the end of next week or the week after. The WK 7500 goes out. Can't get used to it, too many buttons to push to do something and I will stick to Yamaha.

Bigmc.
Its under guarantee so I will see what casio have to say about it.

I wise thing to do if it is still under guarantee.

Reaction score
You ok there in Sweden my friend?. Waiting for my PSR S950 to arrive by the end of next week or the week after. The WK 7500 goes out. Can't get used to it, too many buttons to push to do something and I will stick to Yamaha.

Hej, hej Dick,
yes the WK-7500! Do you remember what I thought about this instrument when 1 played it ca. 3 weeks? I could not get used to it, like you.

The PSR 950 from Yamaha seems to be a great instrument when I read the announcements. In Europe you will not get one before midst of october 2012 and the price is about 1.850,-- EUR. This is a lot of money. Anyway I congratulate you to your decision. Please report when you have tested it.

Reaction score
I've located the main culprit as middle D, I can getaway with it making the noise if I play very lightly.
I think its to do with the hammer.
Good news is that its going back to Casio for repair.
Will lose it for around 10 to 14 days.
At least I still have my wonderful Clavinova CVP405 to keep me occupied.

Reaction score
I've located the main culprit as middle D, I can getaway with it making the noise if I play very lightly.
I think its to do with the hammer.
Good news is that its going back to Casio for repair.
Will lose it for around 10 to 14 days.
At least I still have my wonderful Clavinova CVP405 to keep me occupied.
Well Casio had a go at repairing it, but failed.
I have a brand new PX330 because of the fantastic service I received from my dealer.
However I am very disappointed at the service received by Casio UK, it took them six weeks to get my Keyboard back to me and despite putting a brand new mother board in it, they failed to check that they had solved the problem.
I have just also purchased a new PX350 and this should be with me on Friday so I now have a brand spanking new never opened PX330 for sale.

Ask a Question