How a great show gets wrecked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jeremykeys, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jeremykeys

Jeremykeys

Last night I went to see Dream Theater with my wife and another couple. I'd been looking forward to this show ever since the tour was announced and being a huge fan I waited impatiently.
    Once in the venue we saw that we were pretty near the back but at least we were at the show. Lights, band action! And everybody in the whole place stands up! WTF? Why? This place has the best seats around. Ifigure they're only going to stand for the first song but noooo! They stand for the whole freaking set. I'm not very tall and my wife is only 5 feet tall. Of course the people ahead of us are over 6feet so even when we're both standing, we can't see anything.

We left halfway through the show. What's the point of going if you can't see the band?

I'm still very angry about this.

Jeremykeys, Nov 13, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Jeremykeys

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

Fistfights, spilled beer, toxic marijuana smoke, hearing damage, intolerable lineups for disgusting bathrooms, and as you mentioned, idiots standing and dancing in front of you blocking the view. Not to mention scalper bots make it impossible to find tickets these days and even if you manage to score tickets you still have to fight it out for parking.

Call me a fossil if you will, but these are only a few of the reasons I no longer attend live shows except in small venues.

Personally if I want the "stadium experience" these days I'll either spring for the band's official DVD concert disk or more easily catch it on youtube.

To be honest, I have no idea why anyone older than 25 ever wants to attend a big show these days.

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Nov 13, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Jeremykeys

Rayblewit Love Music / Love Life

...and people talking throughout a performance!
    ...and LOUD people yelling and screaming and whistleing!

The last big name concert I saw was about 10 years ago . . Jethro Tull! in Melbourne.
    It cost me over $150 and I had to put up with all of the above!

Not worth it!

Sorry the Dream Theatre turned out shit for you J.
    I feel your pain. 'Specially since you love the music and those other morons are just there to create annoyance and disregard for others!
    ray:eek:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Rayblewit, Nov 14, 2017
    happyrat1 likes this.
  4. Jeremykeys

Jeremykeys

Maybe it's that I'm just getting old but I don't think so. I just can't for the life of my understand why the whole mostly male audience would want to stand there just so they can bob their heads. Hmmmm. Reminds of a girl I once knew.
    Anyway, happy thoughts! It's not like you can nod your head to the beat for long. Dream Theater is constantly changing it up. I'm still pissed but I will get over it eventually. The last 2 concerts haven't been what I was hoping for. Maybe it's just time to stop going.

Jeremykeys, Nov 14, 2017
  5. Jeremykeys

CowboyNQ

We played a show a couple of weekends ago where there was almost fisticuffs in the audience!

By way of context, our shows are "sit down and listen" not "stand up and yell" type affairs.

Anyway this one punter was enjoying the show very enthusiastically, standing up, singing along (badly) and generally being very loud and disruptive. The bloke behind him grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him back into his seat, at which point things started to go pear shaped. Ushers had to intervene to prevent carnage breaking out.

Things calmed down pretty quickly after that, but it was an entertaining start to the show. This all happened about 5 minutes into the first set!

CowboyNQ, Nov 16, 2017
    Rayblewit and happyrat1 like this.
  6. Jeremykeys

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

[​IMG]

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Nov 16, 2017
    CowboyNQ and Rayblewit like this.
    1. Advertisements