How Do I Synchronize The Scale On 2 Keyboards

Reaction score
I have 2 Keyboards
KN 7000 ( master)
Korg Triton Exteme ( SLAVE)

THEY ARE CONNECTED VIA midi
How can I connect it so that when I change the "scale" eg C scale to G,on the master keyboard
that the slave will reciprocate appropriately.
When I play at a gig I am having to change scales on both Keyboards.
Can this be done?
Sincerely
Naz

Reaction score
I have 2 Keyboards
KN 7000 ( master)
Korg Triton Exteme ( SLAVE)

THEY ARE CONNECTED VIA midi
How can I connect it so that when I change the "scale" eg C scale to G,on the master keyboard
that the slave will reciprocate appropriately.
When I play at a gig I am having to change scales on both Keyboards.
Can this be done?
Sincerely
Naz

I mean TRANSPOSE .
I like to play in the C scale all the time.
My 2 vocalists sing in several different sharps and flat scales.
If I transpose the Master keyboard to eg G scale,
I would like the midi connected slave to reciprocate the scale without having to transpose both keyboard scales independently.
Is there a way.? Thank you.
Naz

Reaction score
You mean change the key, not change the scale, which is what confused me.

What you want to do is this. On the Triton Extreme, you're probably playing in combi or program mode, right? If so, you can set the transposition of any/all timbres in a combi individually, or you can set the transposition of the oscillator(s) in the current program. Do this, and save a new copy of your combi or program. Have the KN 700 pick the new combi or program whenever you do a program change instead of the old one.

Basically, what you're going to be doing is saving the transposition into the sound you use for a particular song so that you don't have to call it up on the Triton Extreme.

However, it sounds like you're trying to play everything in one key, or at least that you don't like the key they're singing in. I'd suggest you try to learn your parts in the keys your singers are going to use; transposition often has its own set of issues. I've been playing at church before where a particularly weak pianist transpose the digital piano for a song and didn't switch back, throwing everyone else off. If you really can't handle playing in the key they want to sing in and you can't get them to move a half-step up or down, then try to build your transpositions into your programs like I said so that it's automated for you, but ideally, just learn to play in their key.

Reaction score
Naz:

Ok, this is just something I simply don't understand.

You're a "gigging" keyboardist, presumably playing for singers and you can't play in any other key than C? I don't mean to sound disrespectful,but there are 12 keys for a reason and the piano keyboard is 12 notes arranged in a certain order, and repeated 8 times across the length of the piano. Pretty logical setup and layout. It's simply a matter of you knowing the intervals between the notes in the chords.

Seriously, you should learn to play in different keys, instead of relying on a transpose function.

Now to the question at hand.

Kanthos, you're suggestion will work quite well, however the rub comes in if he has to use the same Combi's for multiple songs, all in different keys. Then the same combi has to be saved multiple times with the new key change assignment.

I suspect somewhere in the midi control functions, that a "global" transpose command can be sent along with a program change. I'm not 100% sure, since I've never used a transpose function on any keyboard.

I think that might be a more elegant solution worth exploring (other than simply playing in multiple keys).

Your mileage may vary.

Reaction score
The MIDI spec doesn't have a built-in transpose message, so you couldn't enable transposition on the one keyboard and send a single "turn on transposition" message to the other. It's done note by note (so pressing a G would send a C).

Really, you do only have three choices: play in the correct key, set up transposition on both keyboards, or hard-code your transposition into your combi.

Saving extra combis is a pain, but it's the only way you're going to do things automatically. If you're a gigging player, you probably already do this (or, *should*), because you'll probably have a combi saved for each of your songs by name. At least, that's the better way to organize things than to have to remember which combi to use and manually switch to it, especially if they're out of order for your gig.

I have a big post elsewhere on two-keyboard MIDI setups that might be helpful for explaining this. Naz, you might want to consider using the Triton Extreme as your master, at least in the sense of it being the keyboard that tells the other keyboard which program to use currently. Its combi mode is built for this kind of thing.

Ask a Question