How do I?

Reaction score
Hi All, I just inherited a lot of gear and don’t know how to hook it up. I have 3 sound modules with no usb, just midi. I have a mixer, and a Tascam 122mkii audio interface (with a USB port) . How do I get all of the modules to input into the computer? Any and all help is really appreciated!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Going by what I see on the web, the Tascam US-122MKII has a MIDI IN and a MIDI OUT, so you should be able to connect one of the sound modules to the Tascam, as follows:

Tascam's MIDI OUT port ---> MIDI cable ---> Sound Module 1's MIDI IN port

And you would of course connect the Tascam to the computer as follows:

Tascam's USB port <---> USB 2 cable <---> Computer's USB 2 port

Note, this is assuming that what you're calling "sound modules" are indeed sound modules, meaning they receive MIDI data and generate sounds in accordance with the instrument sounds and notes which are indicated by the MIDI data. If one or more of them are something else-- either a MIDI controller or a MIDI instrument (meaning a device that's both a controller and a sound module in one, such as a typical electronic keyboard)-- then the arrangement will be different than what I've depicted above.

A MIDI controller would be connected to the Tascam as follows:

Tascam's MIDI IN port <--- MIDI cable <--- Controller's MIDI OUT port

And a MIDI instrument would be connected to the Tascam as follows:

Tascam's MIDI IN port <--- MIDI cable <--- Instrument's MIDI OUT port
Tascam's MIDI OUT port ---> MIDI cable ---> Instrument's MIDI IN port

Now, if one of the MIDI thingies is a controller, and another is a sound module, they would be connected to the Tascam as follows:

Tascam's MIDI IN port <--- MIDI cable <--- Controller's MIDI OUT port
Tascam's MIDI OUT port ---> MIDI cable ---> Sound Module's MIDI IN port

If two or more of the MIDI thingies are indeed sound modules, and one or two of them have a MIDI THRU port, you can daisy-chain them together as follows (assuming all three are sound modules and two have MIDI THRU ports):

Tascam's MIDI OUT port ---> MIDI cable ---> Sound Module 1's MIDI IN port
Sound Module 1's MIDI THRU port ---> MIDI cable ---> Sound Module 2's MIDI IN port
Sound Module 2's MIDI THRU port ---> MIDI cable ---> Sound Module 3's MIDI IN port

This would mean that the sound modules would be receiving the same MIDI data as each other, so each sound module would need to be set up to respond to a specific MIDI channel or group of channels which are different than the channel or group of channels that the other two sound modules are set up to respond to.

If you tell us what the three MIDI thingies are, we can look up their specifications and guides on the web and offer better advice.

Reaction score
Hi,
the modules are a Roland JV 2080, Oberheim Matrix 1000, and Emu Proteus 2000. Thanks for the help thus far!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you have a keyboard for the modules or are you planning on just using the computer to play and record MIDI files?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just to give you some ideas here's how my Living Room and Bedroom studios are set up.

Flowchart-a-studio-a-2020.jpg

Flowchart-m-studio-a-2020.jpg

Flowchart-studio-b-2020.jpg

As you can see, you have both audio and MIDI connections to worry about.

If you still have any questions feel free to ask.

Gary ;)

tjw

Reaction score
Emu Proteus 2000

Wow. Nice "blast from the past". I had a Proteus 2 Orchestral - it was a nice box, I really liked it. But, along came sample playing in the computer...... I think the later model is a good item for Proteus, lots of people liked them.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miller Hadlee

Latest Threads